Professor Emeritus of University Mathematics Department Dies Here
SERVICES HELD TODAY
Former Member of Faculty Is Buried in Forest Hill Cemetery
Dr. Joseph Lybrand Markley, 70, professor emeritus of mathematics of University of Michigan and formerly a member of the faculty for 37 years, died at 5:40 Saturday evening at his home at 1816 Geddes Ave. Dr. Markley had been in poor health several years.
Dr. Markley was characterized by his colleagues as a "lively and energetic teacher," and in his years on the faculty was considered one of the best teachers in the literary college. The early work in mathematics was a matter of keen interest to him as well as the more advanced work, and he always included a section of freshmen among his courses. His advanced work was particularly in the field of Bissel's functions and the theory of functions of a complex variable.
His resignation Sept. 30, 1927, because of failing health, came after 37 years of continuous active service on the Michigan faculty. He had served in numerous administrative capacities during his years on the faculty, these included chairman of the mathematics department, secretary of the summer session, secretary of the University senate, and membership on practically all of the important committees of the literary college.
Joined Faculty in 1890
He was best known, however, as a teacher, and is remembered by hundreds of his former students as a conscientious teacher, giving freely and unsparingly of his time to his students in his classes. His free hours on the campus were given over to helpful instruction to those students who desired and needed his aid, and he was known to return frequently evenings to his office to further these interests.
Dr. Markley came to the Michigan faculty in 1890, as an instructor in mathematics, after serving a year in the same capacity at Haravrd university. In 1895 he was made an assistant professor and in 1904 a junior professor, being promoted to a full professorship in 1907. He became chairman
(Continued on Page Thirteen)
DR. MARKLEY PASSES AWAY AT AGE OF 70
(Continued from Page One)
of the mathematics department in 1922, following the death of Prof. Wooster W. Beman, and retired from this administrative duty in 1926, a year prior to his resignation.
His executive work, however, began many years previous to Prof. Beman's death, Dr. Markley having active charge of many phases of the teaching work of the department as a whole under the chairman.
Born in Pennsylvania
Prof. Markley was secretary of the University senate from 1913 to 1922, and for a considerable period of time was chairman of the committee on elections. During his early years on the faculty he also was secretary of the University summer session.
He was born Oct. 6, 1859, in East Nantmeal township, Chester county, Pa. His undergraduate training was received at Haverford college, Haverford, Pa., from which he received his A. B. degree in 1885 and master's degree in 1886. He also received a master's degree from Harvard in 1887 and was given the doctor of philosophy degree there in 1889. From 1887 to 1889 he was a Morgan fellow at Harvard.
His earlier education was received at the West Chester, Pa., Normal school, from which he was graduated in 1881, and continued with a scientific course there the succeeding two years. He spent two periods in study abroad at University of Gottingen, the first from 1895 to 1897 and the latter in 1910 and 1911.
Dr. Markley was active in the organization of the Michigan chapter of Phi Beta Kappa, and also was actively interested in the Schoolmasters' club of Michigan. In 1891 he became affiliated with the American Mathematical society, which had been organized as the New York society in 1888, and was reorganized in 1894 as the American Mathematical society.
Contributed to Journals
He also was a member of the Mathematical Association of America and the American Association of University Professors. He was a contributor to various educational journals and was associate editor of the Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society in 1898.
Throughout his entire residence in Ann Arbor Dr. Markley was closely identified with First Baptist church. He served at various times as a trustee and on the board of deacons. He was prominent in the effort which established the Baptist Students' guild in 1904, and was successively secretary and chairman of the board which purchased the building on East Huron St. now known as Tucker Memorial hall or the Baptist Students' Guild house. All his service, it was said, was marked by intelligent and conscientious fidelity.
He was married July 7, 1893, to Mary Elizabeth Butler of Brooklyn, N. Y., and is survived by the widow; a brother, Peter Markley of Pottstown, Pa., and several nephews and nieces.
Funeral services were held at 2:30 this afternoon at the residence at 1816 Geddes Ave., which Dr. and Mrs. Markley built 15 years ago and which was one of the first homes erected in that district. Rev. R. Edward Sayles of First Baptist church officiated. Burial was in Forest Hill cemetery.
Active pallbearers were members of the department, these being Prof. James W. Glover, Prof. L. C. Karpinski, Prof. John W. Bradshaw, Prof. Peter Field, Prof. Walter B. Ford and Prof. Carl J. Coe.
The honorary bearers included John R. Effinger, Prof. E. C. Goddard, Prof. Joseph H. Drake, Prof. Warren P. Lombard, Professor-emeritus W. H. Butts, Frederick P. Jordan, associate librarian emeritus, Secretary Shirley W. Smith and Prof. Alfred H. White.
University of Michigan - Faculty & Staff
First Baptist Church of Ann Arbor
Ann Arbor News
Wooster W. Beman
William Henry Butts
Warren P. Lombard
Walter B. Ford
Shirley Wheeler Smith
Rev. R. Edward Sayles
Mrs. Joseph L. Markley
Mary Butler Markley
Louis C. Karpinski
Joseph H. Drake
John W. Bradshaw
James W. Glover
Frederick P. Jordan
Edwin C. Goddard
Dr. Joseph L. Markley
Carl J. Coe
Alfred H. White
1816 Geddes Ave