Press enter after choosing selection

The Coroner's Inquest

The Coroner's Inquest image
Parent Issue
Public Domain
OCR Text

Coroner Clark held the inquest Saturday in the case of John M. Kearney, whose death was described last week. The evidence was as follows : Clarence Powell, theticket clerk, testified that the deceased was standing on the platform about seven o'clock, and was intoxicated. He discovered that by his breath. He could walk well enough. Af ter the train arrived I told him if he were going on that train he must get on at once. He was then about three steps f rom the car platform. It was three minutes after that that the car started. He was talking with me about Pinckney and the people there in an intelligent manner until the train arrived. I knew him. His name is John M. Kearney, of Pincknev. Frank Camp, express driver, testified that he was about fifteen feet from the train when the accident happened and saw Kearney when he started to get on the trainj The train was moving when. he started to get on the steps. He missed the step and feil under the front wheel. The train had gone about three car lengths when he attempted to get on the train. He walked right to the cars without any trouble. He had time to get on the cars, had he started when the conductor called "all aboard." When he took hold of the handle on the car he walked one or two steps before he tried to get on. George F. Renshaw, the conductor on the train, talked with Kearney at the office window and discovered liquor on his breath. I called "all aboard" and then helped to unload a load of express. I think we had gone a coach length and a ; half when the train stopped and we found Kearney under the oil-box at ■ the front end of the first passenger coach. He had been dragged eight feet. N. M. Hall, train baggagemaster, saw Kearney when he was coming to get on the train, and testified: When he reached for the railing on the platform, I pulled the bell cord and stopped the train. He was about two feet from the platform of the car when I pulled the rope. The train was just pulling out. I heard the conductor cali out "all aboard" twice before the train started. John Conely, baggage-master, testified that Kearney was at the depot twenty-five minutes before the train came in. He walked lame. The cars had started. He took hold of the handle on the body of the car. His foot reached the first step of the car platform. He slipped off. The train had gone a car length and a half. His body was found eight feet from where he tried to get on. Clarence Tice, patrolman, testified that he had a long conversation with Kearney early that morning and he was not drunk or intoxicated. John Martin, laborer, was at the depot, heard the conductor cali "all aboard." The train had started when Kearney, who had been at the depot forty minutes, reached the cars. He took hold of the handle with his left hand and reached for the step with his foot. He went under the car. The jury's verdict was as follows: That the said John M. Kearney was killed at the T., A. A. & N. M. depot at Ann Arbor on the morning of Sept. 3, 1891, by the 7:40 north bound passenger train, No. 2, by attempting to get aboard the train and falling under the wheels of car while the train was in motion.