Press enter after choosing selection

County And Vicinity

County And Vicinity image
Parent Issue
Public Domain
OCR Text

The Chelsea fair will be held I tober n, 12 and 13. The first day's registration in the Ypsilanti schools was 704. The little baby of Thomas Bates, of Saline, died September 3. Warren Kimble, of Manchester, is putting down a drive well. There are 414 children of school age in the Manchester district. Miss Matie Sharpey, of Dexter, is teaching school at Delhi Mills. There are 232 children of school age in the South Lyon district. There are 256 children of school age in the Dexter union district. There were 311 enrolled on the first day of school in Manchester. ' Harry Pierce is teaching in the Arnold district of Dexter township. There were 304 pupils enrolled the fjrst day of the Chelsea schools. The Augusta Catholics cleared about $65 by their picnic recently. There are 273 children of school age in the Saline union school district. Mrs. M. S. Platt, of Ypsilanti, died last Friday, aged seventy-four years. Prospect avenue park, Ypsilanti, is to be made to "blossom like the rose." Ypsilanti is putting in a new boiler at its waterworks, at a cost of i,5oo. The highest salary paid in the Ypsilanti schools is $1,500, and the lowest $350. George H. Hammond, of Augusta, raised 328 bushels of wheat this year on 12 acres. A mission festival was held in St. John's Lutheran church in Bridgewater last Sunday. The Ypsilanti dress stay factory factory has opened up again and has put on a full forcé. H. W. Prescott and A. C. Clarke have been re-elected directors of the Saline school board. The Congregational church of Dexter has called Rev. Frank Blomfield to its pastorate. The Clinton schools cost $3,628.55 last year. The school population of the district is 283. The team of Thomas Young, of Lyndon, ran away last week, throwing the occupants out. U ill Whfttaker, of near Chelsea, had twenty-five sheep mutilat'ed by dogs one night last week. About $5,000 is being expended in new buildings on the farms within two miles of Stony Creek. ■Miss Estella'Forbes, of Saline, is teaching the school in the Iron Creek district of Manchester. About 600 ladies voted at the Ypsilanti school election, the majority of whom voted against the ladies ticket. St. Luke's church, Ypsilanti, gives a lawn social at Daniel Quirk's residence, at which Midway Plaisance will be portrayed. Miss Lucy Curtiss is the first lady ever elected a member of the Milan school board. She and editor Smith were elected last week. A three-year--old son of James Lyman, of Dexter, while playing on some stairs, feil and broke his leg above the knee, recently. Jim Butler was knocked into insensibility by a horse on the farm of Perry Vorce, of Ypsilanti town, last week. He was kicked in the chest. C. W. Case and George J. Haussler have been elected trustees of the Manchester schools. The superintendent of the schools gets a salary of $950. Wayne has a new paper, the Pilot, which made its first bow to the pub!ic last Thursday, and a newsy bow it was, giving promise of future usefulness. Wilkie Knox, the faraous Ypsilantï pacer, took second money in the 2:15 pace at Chicago, Friday, running thesecond heat in 2:10, his lowest mark. The Michigan Central will build a new station at VVayne, on the spot where the old freight house now stands. This is a most desirable improvement for Wayne. Mrs. Zang died in Chelsea last Friday, at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. C. Spirnagle. She was exhausted by a ride from Hillsdale on the prevlous day. Justice Bogardus, of Ypsilanti, on Friday last fïned Walter Cook and Timothy Smalley $7.50 for disturbing the peace, and Andrew Caldwell and costs for the same offense. Solomon Ostrander, of Ypsilanti, lied of consumption, September 7, aged seventy-four years. He had resided in Ypsilanti thirty-four years and was a gardener by occupation. A blue racer four and a half feet long was killed in the yard of the Presbyterian parsonage in Saline last week. The place where it was killed is sufficient guarantee that this is not one of the ordinary snake stories. Morris B. House, aged sixty-five, of Clinton, while going afterhiscow on the night of September i, feil in the lot and died of appoplexy. His body was discovered by a couple of boys. Benjamin F. Shelmire, of Ypsilanti, died September 7, aged 82 years. He was born in New York, and carne to Michigan about 1826, settling first near Manchester, but for many years has resided near Ypsilanti. A man and woman were recently observed sleeping in a stack of hay on the grounds of the Stockbridge cemetery. They claimed to have had their home burned and to have no place to stay. They were given employment by sympathizing neighbors. Twenty-five ladies voted at the Dexter school election. O. C. Bostwick and S. L. Jenney were elected trustees. The expenditures for the past year were $3,938.50. The school tax to be raised this year is about the same as that raised last year. Dr. William Rouse died in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, August 25, aged 65 years. He lived in Saline from 1830 to 1854, when he graduated from the medical department of the University. At one time he was a member of the Minnesota legislature. The Ypsilantian says that the last house of ill fame has been driven from Ypsilanti. It goes on to state that "Ypsilanti has been blind to such nuisances for some time." Quite true and it waited until it got a democratie administration before it cleaned such houses out. The Ypsilanti school census shows a falling off in school population in that city. In 1891 the school population was 1,773, in 1892 it was 1,684, and in 1873 it is 1,607, a falling off of 166 in two years. The falling off of the white school population is 106 and of the colored 60. The colored school population now numbers 131. The barn of Edward King, of Ypsilanti township, was burned, Monday evening, including all its contents excepting a wagon and a few tools. The barn was filled with hay, and two hay stacks near it were also burned. The fire first caught in a straw stack, and is supposed to have been caused by tramps. The loss is $1,500, insured in the Washtenaw Farmers' Mutual. The barn of William Singleten, near Stockbridge, was burned on Saturday evening, September 2, the .fire being probably the work of an incendiary. Only the horses were saved frora the barn; 350 bushels oi wheat, 200 bushels of oats, 40 tons of hay and all his farming utensils and wagons were burned. The house and barn were insured for $1,600, but the house was saved after a big fight. The Ypsilanti Commercial has come out with a new dress and a new editor. In fact a vast improvement has been made in it. In one week it has made the biggest stride ever made in Ypsilanti journalism. George C. Smithe, formerly of tthe Ypsilantian, has formed a partnership with Mr. Coe under the firm name of Coe & Smithe. Mr. Smithe is a newspaper man of ability and has charge' of the paper. Mr. Coe is a hustler as a business manager, lts a strong team'and the Commercial may well be proud of its initial number under its new management. Fire is raging in the big swamp of Robison and Richmond on section 18. J. J. Robison says the swamp looks as if a raountain sponge had been dipped in heil and with a gigantic hand squeezed broadcast over section 18. With dry weather continuing for a few days longer, the fire will burn over 1,000 or 1,500 acres. The origin of the fire is unknown, but it is supposed to have been set on fire to get rid of a patch of Canada thistles. We learn that a large force of men is at work subduing the flames, and that Pleasant Lake has been lowered several inches by a ditch dug from it to the marsh. It has been a good pasture during this dry time, and many cattle are still there. Some have already come out with burned feet. - Manchester Enterprise. Robert Sherwood, of Superior, accused of sheep stealing, was tried in Justice Bogardus court, Thursday, and the case attracted an unusual amount of interest. Mr. Dennis, whose sheep were stolen, was the complainingwitness. Prosecuting Attorney Kearney appeared for the people, and John P. Kirk for the defense. All day was consurned in hearing testimony, and the case given to the jury at about eight o'clock. After being out for some time the jury announced that they could not agree, and they were released. It is understood that they stood five for conviction to one for acquittal. This appears to be another of the all too common instances in which the ends of justies are defrauded by a stubborn juror. - j Ypsilanti Commercial.


Ann Arbor Argus
Old News