líarch 14, 1864, 'wfts the dato of the capturo of Fort de Russy, tho Gibraltar of the Rod river, by troops of Bank's oxpodition. While the uavy %vas pioking its way up the river chanuel auiois;. torpedoea auii other snuken otmtructiona the land force marched arouuil to tho rear of the fort, aud gettiuf; within caunou shot opeiied bombardmciit. The post consisted of two eartLworks conuected by a oovered way. It mountod eight siege gnns and trwo field piecea and was garrisoned by 800 men. After four honrs' battering, with little effect, the Union commander, General Kilby Sinith, decided to end the struggle by stornnng before the Confedérate land forcea conld come np on his rear. Althongh his troops had marchen 85 miles in 24 hourn, bu formöd columu for attaok, plaoÍHgGeueralJ. A. Mower'a división in frout. A strip of woods soroened the dolntnu whon forming, lint. iu opeü space tOO yards wide tav bet ween fchem and the parapet. General Mower rode out at the head of his liue, composed of General Lynoh's two regiments, the Fifty-eishth Illinois and Eightyninth Indiana, and General Sbaw's Iowana, the Fourteenth, Twenty-sevonth and Thirty-second regiments. The instant the column emerged from tho woods the Confederates opened with shell and shrapnel. The outburst was answered by a Wast from the battle trnmpei sounding the doublé quiok charge. When nnder fnll headway, the troops broke into a wild cheer ;and roarched steadily on into the works at the first rnsh, General Mower's horse leaping the ditch and rampart with his flrm seated rider, ahearl of the most impetuous of the eoldiery. The capture was in nick o' time, for uoxt day the position was snrrounded by General Dick Taylor's cavalry.