Press enter after choosing selection

The Late Wait Peck, Of Sharon

The Late Wait Peck, Of Sharon image
Parent Issue
Public Domain
OCR Text

Wait Peck, son of Gideon and Sybil Bristol Peck, was born in Sharon, Conn., Oct. 12, 1807, and was one of a family of five sons and three daughters. At 16 years of age he commenced his apprenticeship to the mason's trade and served four years. He then worked at it for two years in New York city. His father died Nov. 20, 1825, and in 1831 he came to Michigan, riding on the first strip of railroad in America from Schenectady to Albany, the cars being drawn by horses. He bought 160 acres of land in the town of Sharon from the government, the patent bearing the signature of Andrew Jackson, and it was his home until he died there Feb. 6. He was married in the east to Harriet Mills, Jan. 10, 1888, and returned to Michigan the same year. flis eldest son, Virgil Peck, was the first white child born in Sharon township. Of seven children born of this marriage four are now living : Virgil, of Grass Lake; Mrs. A. V. Robison, of Ann Arbor; Mrs. A. J. Robison, of Sharon, and Mrs. F. O. Boardman, of Adrián. Mrs. Harriett Mills Peck died April 28, 1854. Mr. Peck was married a second time Oct. 7, 1856 to Mrs. Lucinda North, nee Webster. Of this marriage there is one daughter, Flora May, now Mrs. W. B. North, of Kalamazou. When a young man he embraoed religión which to him meant very ruuch, being a man of positive couvictions. He ever Hved to convince his friends that religión was to him worth the having. His was a consistent religious life in the eyes of all his neighbors. He held positious of honor and trust in the churoh and was for 40 years a class leader at the Gillett church. In 1893 he went to Kalamazoo to live with his daughter, Mrs. W. B. North. Fioni that time until his death be spent most of tbe time there, althougb making long visits on his farm aud with his children at Grass Lake and Ann Arbor dniing the summer months. He carne to his old home in SharoD, June last, from which he was borne to the cemetery He received the kindest attention from his ever patiënt and devoted wife and danghter and their family. He was confined to his bed seven weeks and died Saturday vening, Feb. fi, 1897, at 9 o'clock, in his 90th year. His funeral, which was from the house, was largely attended. His children and many relatives were present to oomfort the sorrowing mother.