Press enter after choosing selection

Nobody Injured

Nobody Injured image
Parent Issue
Day
15
Month
December
Year
1899
Copyright
Public Domain
OCR Text

To anybody in Ann Arbor who was desirous of being awakened at 6 o'clock Monday, an alarm clock was entirely superfluous. A terrific explosión occurrcd at that hour in the purifying room of the Ann Arbor Gas Co. 's plant at the corner of Detroit and Depot sts. Within a radius of 10 or 12 blocks people were either thrown out of bed or were ronghly ronsed from their slumbers or were awakened according to the distance 'rom the cause of the explosión. Outide of this circle the remainder of he inhabitants were called up by the larm of the fire. The explosión, as has been said, ;ook place in the purifying room of be gas house. There was nobody nide of the building at the time s-ept the night watchman, George Zeifle. Luckily he happened to be in i the engine room and the forcé of the explosión did not come in his directioii. He escaped without any injury exoept the jar on hjsnerves which was enongh to take away the appetite of a hungry school boy. The force of the explosión was directed toward the east. The roof of the wing which forms the purifying rooni was blown off and the walls of the wing were made a wreckage. That soine idea may be had of the concussion, there resulted the breakage of four windows in the store occupied by Mrs. Glasier, and three plate glass windows in the saloon of G. A. Waidlich, besides the destruction of the windows of the second story of the latter bi ilding. These are situated a distance of 125 f eet from the place of the explosión. Besides, some pieces of brick and mortar were found 400 feet to the east, while the telephone wires were heavily laden vvith pieces of boards and tin from the rooflug. The early bour of the occurence was what accounts for nobody outside of the bnilding being hurt as there were no passers-by at the time. As soon as the explosión occurred a [arge pile of waste took fire and blazed high but the flames were extinguished by the flre departinent. Ferdinand Hochrein, tb e foreman of the plant, was soon on the scène and shut off the supply of gas from the gas aouse and also to the pipes leading to the tank. The purifyers were examined and found to be intact and in werking order, and strange as it may seem none of the parts of the machinery about the building or the. pipes were mjured so that the manfacture and supply of gas was immediately continued the same as if nothing had hap pened. Mrs. Dell Keeler, who lives jtist south of the big tank, says that she and her hnsband were eating breakfast bout 6 o'clock this morning and in an instant - the shortest imaginable - before the explosión took place they feit a sensation as if the whole ground under their home was rocking. A man in the Hammond Standish J Co.s' office to the northwest was bending over puiling on bis shoes. He was knocked over on the floor. Nobody employed by the Gas Co. offers any explanation as to the explosiou. There must have been either leakage or over-supply of the gas. Mr. Hochrein says that there was 110 leakage. That he has examined all the pipes and finds none. The most plausible theory theu is that, last evening being Sunday, but oomparatively little gas was used by consumera, and au over-supply was crowded iuto the purifyers; that the over-snpply had to get vent somewhere, and it filled the room in which a gas jet raust have been burning. The coinbination worked the disaster, nndoubtedly. There have been minors that one of the men walked into the purifyiug room with a lantern, but this is denied, and it is proba bly so. for had it been the case, he would never have walked out. The only darnage suffered is the destruction of the walls and roof of the old wiug and the broken windows across the street, besides some damage to the interior of the gas building. Moses Seabolt estimates the entire damage to be $1,000.