Press enter after choosing selection


Personals image
Parent Issue
Public Domain
OCR Text

J. T. Jacobs went to Detroit yesterday lt. Kempf has gone to Boston on a business tiip. II. J. Killilea, of Milwaukce, of '86 was iu the city last weck. Chas. W. Wagner and J. J. Goodyear were iu Detroit, yesterday. Mrs. Dr. A. L. Worden bas returnei to her l.niiir in Des Moines.'Iowa. Mr. Will E. Spragne, of Detroit, is visiting L. C. Qoodricli and tamlly. E. V. Chillson, editor of the South Lyon Picket, was in the city Monday. Mr. and Mrs. G. M. llenion liave been visiting friends in Pontiac during the week. Will F. Davidson, of Port Hurou is in the city, looking up the clectric light plant. Mr. John Waterbury, of Ypsilanti, was a pleasant caller at the Coukier office, Friday last. W. W. Tozer went down to the metropolis yesterday on business, looking after his new purchases. Evart H. Scolt and Prof. E. Baur have gone to Grand Rapids to-day to attend tlití forestry conveution. Mr. and Mr. Win. Furnian, of Canandaigua, are visiting Mr. and Mrs. Will R. Payne, on E. Anu Bt. Sheriff WaUh celebrated his 43d birthday last Thursday. Two more years and he will be out of the draft. F. A. Forbes, of Detroit, general manager of the Michigan Telephone exchanges, was In town yesterday. Miss Parker, sister to Mrs. Soule, and Miss Davison of Port lluron, aie visiting at the Universily Treasurer's home. Miases Mary and Nettie Greening, of Lyndon, have been visiting Sheriff Walsu's faniily duriug the week past. Fred. Wallace aud wife, of Chatanooga, Tenu., are home, called here by the illness of Miss Healey, Mrs. Walace's sister. Bishop Harris, of Detroit, Bishop Gillespie, of Grand Rapids, and Dr. 3unn, of Brooklyn, N. Y., are in the city in attendauce upon the missionary meeting of t his diocese. A note from Henry D. Bennett, at ?asadena, Cal., conveys the informatlon tliat he and Mrs. Bennett are delighted with thelr California home, and would not exchange it for Michigan again. While coasliug on the State street hlll ast Friday night Mrs. Levl D. Wines, and her niece Miss Jennie Wines, were considerably injured by being thrown against the posts at the fout of State st., where the road turns to go down to the ML C. station house. The accident was caused by the person who guided the jobbs not tnaklng the turnquick enoughMrs. Wines is improving now, but her njuries are quite serious. Sand is a good thiug on the icy walks. Mr. Royer, corner of División and Ann sts., has a telephone. 888, "when shall we three meet again !" . just one ihousand years. The incorporators of the Ann Arbur Mutual F i re Insurance Company will meet at the office of John J. Itobison 10 ïïast lluron Street, Fiiilay eTening next at 7:30 to elect officers. Frank P. Bogardus, of Ypsilanti lias een appointed post-offlee inspector. A poeition that pays about f4 00 ppr day and expenses. This is one appuintmeiit that gives satisfacción. Rev. Jno. L. Jackson, D. D., of Bloomngton, 111., will address the Young People's Society of the Baptbt church on 3unday evening, Jan. 29th. He will also occupy the pulpit in the morning. A private leap year musquerade is to be leid at Ilangsterfer's hall, on Thursday evening, Jan. 26th. Tlie eommittee havng the aftair in charge consiíts of: Misses Mattie Walz and Nellie Hoban, Mrs. 3eo. Apfel and Mrs. Ross Granger. Miss Grace Hiltz, of Chicago, sang in the M. E. church, Sunday morning and among the pieces was a comwsed by Orin B. Cndy Those who were 'ortunate enough to be present are warm n their praises. Last Friday night at about six o'clock what seemed to be a ball of flre leaving a trail behind it of sparkg, going from east to west, was seen by a number of our citizens, appearing to be only a short disance north of the city. It li;lited up he heavens brightly for a few seconds. C. R. Puttison takes up over two columns of the Ypsilanti Commercial in telling about Florida. The atmosphere of Florida has undoubtedly worked a great benetlt to hira, for he says : " We can see three times as far as in Ypsilanti, and the starry hosts of Heaven are hrice as luminous." The most natural thing for the 3d ward children to do when they get out of school is to jump upon thelr sleds and go flying down the Miller Ave. lilll. But it 8 a dangerous thing to do nevertheless, :or the road is a much traveled one, teams, and som e of them very skittish, are being constantly met; and aside from that fact is the still worse one that the ;racks of the T., & A. A. R. It. cross the lill and are being used almost constantly. Some one is liable to get hurton that hifi. Judge W. P. Ballinger, of Galveston, Texas, died last Thursday, of pneumonía. Judge Ballinger was the father of Thomas J. and Laura Ballinger, who pursued ;heir studies for several years in our schools, being accompanled by their mother for a portion of the time, consequently the family are well known in thia city. The Judge was perhaps the ablest lawyer ín the state of Texas, and at the time John M. Harían was appointed associate justice of the supreme court by President Hayes, Mr. Ballingei's name was prominently meiitioued iu the same connection. I,inu8 Clark, of Green Oak, Livingston C)., died on Jan. 18, aged 75. {Mr. Clark was a brother of Martin Clark, of tliis city, and had been a resident of Michigan for 55 years. He came from the state of New York when Michigan was a wilderness and suflered all the hardships of a pioneer life. The farm which he purehased and clearedof its native forests he lias lived upon all these long years and became prosperous and Independent. He was a sincere christian man and liberally contributed his means to various benevolent objects. On Sunday morning last, George W. Hayes died at his rssidence iu Detroit, of paralysls of the heart, in the C4th year of his age. Funeral services are to be held this p. in. it % o'clock, in Dexter, at the Congregational church under the auspiees of the Masonic fiaternity. Mr. Hayes was ut one time well known throughout this county. About lorty years since he carne to Dexter, and for nearly tweuty years he did an extensive dry goods trade. Afterwards he carne to Ann Arbor, and for several years had charge of what was known as "The Farmer's Store." After the business of that Corporation was closed up Mr. Hayes went to Detroit and has lived there ever since. He was a man of températe hablts, strict integrity, and moral excellence, and iu hia death his wife and friends will receive the sympathy of many who knew and respected him for his truc worth.


Ann Arbor Courier
Old News