Auto products sales manager Horace King and UM School of Engineering professor H. H. Seeley were the first to invent a dashboard-mounted gasoline gauge for cars. With another UM faculty member, John Airey, as manager, the company started up in 1922. Within three years it moved into a former tannery on Second Street, expanding eastward to First Street with a five-story factory in 1928 and again in 1937. The company had $10 million in sales and plants across the country and abroad by 1967 when it was sold and split up. The First Street factory remained in operation
from the 1947 King-Seeley annual report.