Campus as later recalled by a member of the class of 1849
Early students, all male, were expected to chop their own firewood, bring it across the muddy campus from the central wood yard, and carry water up to their rooms from the well. In all weather they used the latrine behind the college buildings. Rooms were lit by candles or the fire in an iron stove. Meals were taken at private homes nearby. Students often stopped to chat near the stile steps at the northwest corner of the fence surrounding campus.
Frame location: West side of State Street north of the walk on the north side of the Michigan Union, facing east
This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library