There are not many men in thia city wbo can look back over fifty years of successful business life. Philip Bach is one of those fortúnate persons. He was born in Germany. In 1829 he emigrated to Pennsylvania. where he remained till 1835. He carne to Ann Arbor and was employed as a clerk during the succeeding eight years in several establishments. It was in 1843 that, in company with C. B. Thompson, he established himself in business. The firrn occupied a store nest to the present quarters of the Farmers' and Mechan ics' bank. There was scarcely anything which they did not sell - groceries, boots and shoes, dry goods, crockery and clothing, and many other things made up their stock. In 1845 the firrn removed to the old American block - a frame building standing on the corner of Main and Washington-sts. Ten years later, Mr. Thompson having retired, Henry Ilewitt and Isaac S. Pearson became members of the firm. They both passed away within the succeeding ten years, and Mr. Bach was for a time left without a partner. In 18G7, however, their place was taken by Peter H. Abel. It was during the same year that the magnificent block, still occupied by the firm, was erected by Mr. Bach, at au expense of S20,00ü. Prices were quite high at that time, and a single stair-case cost 8500. Mr. Abel did not live many years after coming to Ann Arbor. In 1878 his place was taken by his brother, Eugene B. Abel. Zaokary Roath, for many years an efficiënt salesman of the establishment, became a partner in February, 1800. The lirm is still known as Bach, Abel & Co., although Mr. Abel died in December last. A I.OOK AKOUXD. The present store could not fail to interest any lady, or even gentleman. Groceries, boots and shoes, etc, were thrown out several years ago, and the firm now does an exclusively dry goods business. And what a business it is ! Eight clerks are kept constantly busy in their endeavors to wait upon the throngs of customers. There is scareely a lady in Washtenaw county who has not at some time purchased goods at the store of Bach & Abel. Three large floors are used. The basement is devoted to storage, the first floor to the ordinary lines of dry goods, and the second floor to cloaks, shawls, etc. Everything is artistically arranged, from the displays in the windows to the fabrics on the shelves. The firm devotes its attention to the usual lines of first-class dress goods. They, however, make a special ty of black and colored dress fabrics, which include all the novelties that the season offers. The variety is so great that it is impossible to convey any idea in writing. No lady should feel satisfied till she Sas examined this stock for herself. We will, however, venture to cali attention to the fine imported cheviots and pattern dresses, for which the firm has won a wide and enviable reputation. They are rapidly becoming very popular with all customers. If a lady visitor will but take time to visit the second rloor, she will probably be led to break the tenth commandment, for the display of cloaks and shawls found there is likely to awaken a spirit of covetousness even in the most simple and unselflsh persons. A large room is devoted exclusively to this department of business. It will pay any lady, particularly at thiB season of the year, carefully to examine the stock of eloaks. A person in search of hosiery or knit underwear will be sure to find what he desires in this establishment. Everything from the cheapest to the finest imported Saxony garments are to be found iere. House furnishings, table linen, naptins, counter panes, are displayed in dazzling variety. Over 100 dozen napkins of one style have been purchased and slaced on sale. It is doubtful if any other house in this part of the state dares to lay in so heavy a stock. In conversation with a member of the irm, The Register learned much that ie did not know before. " We are now," eaid the merchant, experiencing a great revival in the use of silks and velvets as dress fabrics. ïhey are quickly resumng their old place in popular favor. Hany of the choice novelties, in the way of new styles of weaves, are meeting with great success. All these can be öund in our store in such quantities and and styles as, I believe, will surely suit he tastes and, what is more important still, the purses of our patrons. Another marked feature with ua is the stock of Chiffon lares for neckwear. These are supplanting all styles that have preceded them." "Have you noticed the furore among the ladies just now, for making their homes attractiveï If you have not, just step in some day and see how they take to draperies, spreads, etc, of which we have a large variety. I am confident that few houses in Detroit can compete with us in this line." The merchant was undoubtedly correct in his statements. He informed The Registkk of something that was not known before, to wit; that Bach, Abel & Co , have developed a wholesale business of no .mean proportions. They have the agency for certain special lines, and supply many stores in the neighboring towns. Here is the nucleus of a wholesale trade which may some day grow to large proportions. All mail orders for samples or goods are gladly received and promptly attended to. The wants of customers are supplied by an able corps of clerks, whose pleasure it is to show goods and give ideas, whether their efforts result in a purchase or not. From the time of its establishment to the present, the store has been known as the "Oíd Reliable"- a name which has been earned by fair dealing and eareful selection of the best stock. Without doubt, the right to this name will never be forfeited.