When Christian F. Eberbaoh started in the drug business about fifty years ago, it is probable that he did not expeot to deal in anything but the ordinary articles sold by pharmacists. The man. ufacture of physical apparatus and the preparation of chemieals for use in schools was proba bly very f ar f rom his thoughts. Mr. Eberbach was eduoated in Stuttgart, Germany. He caino to Ann Arbor in 1838, and clerked for a time in the store of W. S. Maynard. In 1842, however, he went into business for himself, starting a drug storo on Huron-st. He built, several years later, the blook now occupied by B. F. Watts In 1850 he ereoted the building which he still uses. He was associated in business with the late Emanuei Mann until 1876, when his son, Ottmar Eberbach, a former student at thefamous Tubingen University, became his partner. Chlistian Eberbach was the first dispensing druggist in Ann Arbor. But he did not stop there. He has for rnany years manufacturad many of the ordinary pharmaceuticnl preparations in his own laboratory. ïhis branch of the business occupies a two-story building, and is supphed with all the necessary hinery. In the basement stands B sixhorse power engine, which furnishes power for several large root-crushers. Stearn-jaekets for ovaporating and machines for distilling are found on the tirst Hoor. The second story is usod as a store room. It contains many hundreds of flasks, test tubes, beakers, retorts and other chemical glassware. There can be no doubt but that Eberbach & Son have a larger variety than any other house in the state. Besides those of their own manufacture, they import many from Germany, France and England. The University of Michigan and the Ann Arbor high school depend upon the firm 1 argel y for their supplies. TUK APPARATCS DKPARTMENT. It was in 1872 that Eberbach & Son unit into the chemical and physical apparatu s business. This has since developed unti it has reached proportions which wil surprise even many Ann Arbor people. A complete line of the various artieles and devices used by teachers to Ilústrate the principies of physics and chemistry is kept in stock. The flrm supplies the University of Michigan with much of its scientific apparatus. lts field is not, however, limited to Ann Arbor. Many schools, not only in Michigan, but in distant states, are becoming more and more dependent upon this enterpnsing firm. The latest addition to the facilities of Eberbach & Son is a mechanical laboratory for the manufacture of physieal apparatus, especially that suited to electrical researcn. A competent mechanic, Edwin Burdick, is employed. A glance at the work done by him would excite the admiration of everyone. Resistence coils, wheatstone bridges, galvanometers - what not - are made in such a way as to be almost perfect, not only as regards mechanical precisión, but also as regards beauty. One of the most interesting artieles lately made by I 'nrrbach & Son is an improved clamp for holding small animáis for investigations in physiological laboratories. This is probably the flrst manulactured this side of the Atlantic. It will be used by the University of gan. The firm has recently filled an order from the University of Colorado for a large number of appliance of their own manufacture. A visit to the establishment of Eberbaofa & Son would repay any lover of science. No teacher of chernistry or physics should fail to inspect the large line of goods and watch the procesa of their manufacture. Many, it is needless to say, have already availed themselves of tho opportunity. When the representativo of The Keoistkk was piloted through the establishment he learned more than one week's st-udy in i high school or college eoulcl possibly have taught him. Scientific students watch with great interest the work done by the firm. Many of them, after leaving their alma mater and becoming teachers themselves, eend to Eberbach & Son for all their supplies. Under such circumstances, can it be doubted that the firm has a great future before it? Keen nsight, careful study and above all, push, have never yet failed to bring success.