Welcome to Commie High - Why Commie High?
Wed, 11/25/2020 - 10:01am
When: November 12, 2020
Deleted scene from Welcome to Commie High about Community High School's "Commie High" nickname featuring Rachel DeWoskin, Davy Rothbart, Malcolm Tulip, and Neda Ulaby.
- [00:00:00] Rachel DeWoskin: [MUSIC] Why do people call it Commie High?
- [00:00:12] Davy Rothbart: We were outsiders.
- [00:00:13] Malcolm Tulip: An alternative school doing things way outside the box.
- [00:00:16] Neda Ulaby: It's funny to think about it now, but we were really seen as a threat to the more traditional schools all around us.
- [00:00:22] Rachel DeWoskin: Community High taught us to do school differently, think critically, express ourselves.
- [00:00:27] Neda Ulaby: Study what interested us.
- [00:00:29] Davy Rothbart: Share our knowledge with each other.
- [00:00:31] Neda Ulaby: In the 70s and 80s during the Cold War.
- [00:00:32] Malcolm Tulip: People used Commie as an insult, so we were called Commie High. It wasn't a compliment.
- [00:00:38] Davy Rothbart: But we claimed it. Commie High. We made it ours. Commie High, that was a badge of pride.
- [00:00:44] Rachel DeWoskin: It became a term of affection. So call me a Commie if you want to.
- [00:00:48] Neda Ulaby: I'm proud to say I did school the Commie High way.
November 12, 2020
Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)
Rights Held by: Ann Arbor District Library
Community High School
Welcome to Commie High Online Archive Deleted Scenes
Films & Filmmakers