Press enter after choosing selection

Death Of Judge Waite

Death Of Judge Waite image
Parent Issue
Public Domain
OCR Text

Washington City, March 23. - Morrison R. Waite, chief justice of the suprema court of the Uiúted Statos, died very suddenly at 8 o'clock Friday moming, from acute pneumonía. He died without a moment's warning in the presence only of .a professional nurse. ün Saturday night the chief justice walked to the home of Senator Heast, bcause of the illness of his coadunan. He aiso walked home. Next morning he comj plained of feeling unwell, and a physician was summoned, who announced that he was suffering f rom a slight cold. He remained in the house during Sunday, and when Monday carne conferred with two of the associate judges and his physician, and determined to go to court because of the important decisión to be delivered on the telephone case, deciding, however, that hé would not read the decisión, but would transfer the duty to Justice Blatchford. The exposure incident on this journey accentuated the cold, and on Tuesday he was advised to go to bed. Nothingseriouswas expected, but on Wednesday Miss Waite decided to telegraph to her brother, Mr. C. C. Waite, of Cincimiati, who arrived here Thrusday afternoon. Surgeon Rath, U. S. N., the physician in attendance and a f riend of the farnily, advised Mr. Waite on his arrival that it would be advisable to cali in another physician in consultation. Dr. Gardner was summoned, and the result was that Thursday night at midnight the patiënt and f amily was assured that there was no danger. At 5:30 Friday morning the nurse heard the chief justice moan, and on going to the bedside was inf ormed that he feltpretty well. The nurse retired, and a half hour later, hearing a gasp, ran to the bedside and f ound a corpse. The associate justices of the supreme court met at 11 o'clock Friday morning, and Justice Miller announced that the court would , stand adjourned until a week from Monday out of respect f or the 'dead. The senate and house also adjourned on the announcement of the chief justiee's death. . Senator Edmunds paid a touehing tribute to Mr. Waite. Senators Sherman, Hoar, Wilson, Pugh and George were appointed a committee to represent the senate at the funeral. Edniunds was excused on account ül-health. At 2:15 p. ín. the following official notice of the death of Chief Justice Waite was issued by the department of state: To the People op the United States: The painful duty devolves upon the president to announce the death at au early hour this momicg at his residence in this city of Morrison H. Waite. cbief justice of the United States, whieh exalted position ho had filled siuce Mareh 4, 1874, with honor to himself and high usefuluess to his countiy. In testimony ?t respect to the memory of the honored dead, it is ordered that the executive offices in Washington be closed on the day of the funeral and be draped in mourning tor thirty days, and that the national flag be displayed at half mast on the. buildings and ou all national vessels on the day of the funeral. By Order of the President. 1. F. Bayard, of State. Morrison Remich Waite was the seventh chief justice of the United States and was born in Lynn, Conn., Nov. 29. 181ö. Hs graduated at Yale college in 1837, studiedlaw, and began to practice in Mauraee City, Ohio. In 1849 he was a member of the legislatura and in 1850 he removed to Toledo. He declined repeated nominations to congress and also a seat on the supreme bench of the state. In 1871-2 he was one of the counsel of the United States before tho tribunal of arbitration at Geneva. In 1873 he presided over the constitutional convention of Ohio. On Jan. 21, 1874, he became chief justice of the United States, and since that time has resided in Washington.


Ann Arbor Argus
Old News