Press enter after choosing selection

Gen. Sheridan's Illness

Gen. Sheridan's Illness image
Parent Issue
Public Domain
OCR Text

Washington City, Aug. 6.- The illness which has resultad in Gen. Sheridan's death commenced on the 12th of May last, iramediately after his return to Washington írom a tour of inspection out west. He complained of feeling unwell and worn out, but went down to the office each day for about a week. He was then forced to reraain in doors, and on May 22 he had a severe attack of heart failure, which greatly alarmed his family and physicians. On account of the effect it was feared the news wonld have on the general's mother, who was aged and in ill-health, an endeavor was made to keep the more alarming phases of his illnëss from the public, and it was not until the end of that week that the physicians admitted the true character of the disease. On Friday of the week ending May 26 he had several attaoks of heart failure and these increased in violence vrith eacn succeeding attack. Several times during his illness it seemed as if his lif e had become extinct, but by the adoption of radical measures the action of the heart was stimulated and he was brought round again. His heart atone time ceased to beat for a few seconds, but the extraordinary watchfulness and care of the attending physicians brought him back to coQSciousness again. New complicatlons set In and hope was abandoned several times ouly to be renewed by the great vitality and determination shown by the stricken soldier. With the approach of warm weather it was deoided by the physician3 that the patiënt must be removed, aa he would be utterly unable in his weakened state to withstand a period of prolonged heat. Accordingly on Saturday, June 30, he was, after several delays placed on board the United States steamer Swatara and taken to Nonquitt, Mass., which place he reached after several stops by recurrences of the heart trouble. The general had made his will and all preparations for death and was ready to face it, though resolutely determined that life should not be given up without a severe struggle. He leaves a wife, the daughter of Gen. Bücker, and four small children - three girls and one boy.


Ann Arbor Argus
Old News