Press enter after choosing selection

The Solemn Journey Begun

The Solemn Journey Begun image
Parent Issue
Public Domain
OCR Text

At 2 p. m. Gen. Howard appeared on the front steps of the house and, followed by other military chiefs, formed a doublé line to the curb. As they took off their hats the multitude uncovered, and in a moment the casket, borne on the shoulders of six soldiers, appeared. Reverently it was carried to the caisson and placed in position, the marching order was given, and an army band over in the neighborhood of Central park began playug a funeral march. Arrival at the Ferry. When the head of the procession reached Desbrosses street ferry, a few minutes after 5 o'clock, it found an immense throng awaiting it. The mounted pólice soon opened ranks on each side of ihe street. Tóe ferry gates were throwu open, and the caisson upon which the body rested was first driven aboard the boat, escorted by Lafayette post, 140, under Gn. Viele. A few minutes later the Euneral party was aboard, the boat swuug into the stream, and the great funeral, the Last tribute which the metropolis could pay to a f i vori te son of the republic, was over. The Landing at Jersey City. When the boat with Gen. Sherman's remains and the guard of honor touched the Pennsylvania ferry station in Jersey City at 5:40 p. m. many thousands of people were in and around the station. Chief of Pólice Murphy, with 170 policemen, and the Fourth regiment of the National Guard of the State of New Jersey, were drawn up between the ferry entrance and the north end of the station, beyond which out of sight stood the special train. The military presented arms, the pólice their batons, colors were lowered, the Fourth regiment drum coros played a dirge, and church bells tolled as the luneral caisson passed from the boat to the train. The people were quiet and respectfuL On the Funeral Train. The national guard of New Jersey were represented at the station by a guard of honor named by Governor Abbett to accompany the remains through the state. The funeral train was made up of seven cars as follows: A composite or "combination car" in whicli the remains were conveyed; the Danville, the Pennsylvania railroad diñing car No. 704; the Pullman cars Albia and Cado; President Roberts' car No. 120; General Manager Charles Pugh's car No. 180. The guard of honor were in the Danville and composite car; the senate and other committees in General Manager Pugh's car; the other cars were used by the family. The composite car was fes'ooned heavily with black drapery. The other cars were less elaborately draped. The train left Jersey City at 6:45.