Press enter after choosing selection

Stories Opened In Theater Building

Stories Opened In Theater Building image
Parent Issue
Day
5
Month
January
Year
1928
Copyright
Copyright Protected

New Sanctuary of Bethel AME Church, June 1974

New Sanctuary of Bethel AME Church, June 1974 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, June 22, 1974
Caption
Simplicity Stressed The architectural feature of the new sanctuary of Bethel AME Church, 900 Plum St., is its simplicity, says the Rev. John A. Woods, pastor. An open house for the new $125,000 structure will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Sunday. The church has been meeting in its educational building, which was completed in January of 1972. Until that time, Bethel AME (African Methodist Episcopal) had been meeting in a building at 632 N. Fourth Ave. The congregation was first organized in 1855. O'Neal Construction Co. of Ann Arbor build the sanctuary. Architects were Cuthbert and Cuthbert of Dearborn.
Graphic for events post

Media

AACHM Oral History: James Anderson, Jr.

Sun, 09/11/2016 - 12:59pm

Please take a moment to take our Living Oral History Survey and let us know what you learned.

James Anderson, Jr., was born on October 23, 1937 and lived on Miner Street where he attended Mack School. James built a career in real estate and recalls the few blocks in the Mack school area where African Americans could live at that time, and how housing has changed over the years, from segregation through today. He remembers the bond drives during WWII and some of the businesses in town. James also worked on behalf of the JCs to establish Washtenaw Community College and was a trustee for 19 years.