Ann Arbor News, April 1, 1968
Like hundreds of other Ann Arborites, Mrs. John McClendon (foreground) of 918 Catherine cast her ballot today for councilman and voted on six city charter amendments. She was photographed at Jones School, the location of the Third Precinct's polling station in the First Ward. Others preparing to vote are in the background.
Ann Arbor News, May 7, 1954
SAFETY PATROL BOYS START TRIP: Russell Calvert (left), 11-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Burgess (Edward) Calvert of 626 N. Fourth Ave., and Aksi Kikut, 13, son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur A. Kikut of 2906 South Blvd., bid parents farewell as they leave to join 13 other Michigan Safety Patrol boys in the annual trip to Washington, D.C. sponsored by the Automobile Club. Both sixth graders, the boys are representing Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti. Young Kikut, formerly a patrol captain in Ypsilanti, recently moved to Ann Arbor. Calvert is a pupil at Jones School.
Jones School was an anchor of Ann Arbor’s historically Black neighborhood (what is now Kerrytown) from the early twentieth century until 1965. Many living Ann Arbor residents remember attending Jones School during the Civil Rights Era. In 1964 the Ann Arbor Board of Education acknowledged that, with over 75% Black students, Jones was a “de facto” segregated school. Jones School closed in 1965, and several years later the building reopened as Community High School.
Ann Arbor News, December 12, 1966
Children, Tutors Have Party: Four children who participated in this fall's Headstart Follow Through Program help one of the tutors, Roger Spencer (right), decorate the tree at their Christmas party at Jones School. Helping trim the tree with ornaments of their own making are, left to right, Damon Guster, Steven Tweedy and Phyllis Lightfoot. The children and Spencer, who is a University student and a member of the Psychology Department's outreach program, were among 150 youngsters and tutors at the party which featured gifts and refreshments donated by various Ann Arbor merchants.