Press enter after choosing selection

Lawrence Welk and members of his show at Willow Run Airport, May 1959

Lawrence Welk and members of his show at Willow Run Airport, May 1959 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, May 7, 1959
Caption
WELK ARRIVES AT WILLOW RUN: John L. French, general manager of the Ford Motor Company hardware and accessories division at Rawsonville, (second from right) welcomed Lawrence Welk and members of his show when they arrived at Willow Run Airport this morning for the Ninth Annual Future Unlimited Celebration of the Junior Achievement of Southeastern Michigan, of which Mr. Welk is master of ceremonies. The celebration will be held at the Masonic Temple in Detroit at 8 p.m. tonight. Accompanying Mr. Welk from Los Angeles were Janet Lennon, of the Lennon Sisters, (fifth from left); her father, William Lennon (extreme left); Warren Luening, Jr., trumpet player, (second from left); Brian Siebman, singer, guitarist, (third from left), Bo Wagner, dancer and drummer, (fourth from left), and Thomas Owens, accordianist, (fifth from left). Also on hand to greek Mr. Welk and his troop was Carl Kolon, 20, of Detroit, president of the Achiever's Association of Southeastern Michigan. French is president of the J. A. board of Southeastern Michigan.

Irene the cow prepares to fly out of Willow Run Airport, November 1947

Irene the cow prepares to fly out of Willow Run Airport, November 1947 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, November 17, 1957
Caption
'THE COW JUMPED OVER THE MOON': There was no dog around to laugh "at such sport" as the first bovine passenger over to take to the air from Willow Run Aiport stoically allowed itself to be loaded aboard a cargo plane yesterday afternoon. The cow is Cesor Maxim's Irene, a prize Guernsey, being shipped to its new home in North Carolina by plane to avoid "travel sickness." Shown inspecting the cow, which was sold for $3,100, are (left to right) G. O. Shaver, pilot for Twentieth Century Airlines; the cow's new owner, Ivan W. Byers, of Shoal Falls Farm, Hendersonville, N. C.; and its old owner, Albert Kessler, manager of the Cesor Farms, new New Hudson, Mich.

Willow Run Airport acquired By the University of Michigan, June 1946

Willow Run Airport acquired By the University of Michigan, June 1946 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, June 3, 1946
Caption
HUGE APRON: Largest of the three hangars at Willow Run airport is shown above with a partial view of the huge concrete apron which extends over the west part of the field. The hangar was used for conversion of bombers for special uses.

Willow Run Airport acquired By the University of Michigan, June 1946

Willow Run Airport acquired By the University of Michigan, June 1946 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, June 3, 1946
Caption
DOUBLE HANGAR: Pictured above is a double hangar, one of three which the University has obtained with procurement of Willow Run airport for an expanded program in aeronautical engineering. The hangar is on the southwest corner of the airport.

Willow Run Airport acquired By the University of Michigan, June 1946

Willow Run Airport acquired By the University of Michigan, June 1946 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, June 3, 1946
Caption
ON SOUTH END: The hangar pictured above, a rear view, is located on the south end of Willow Run airfield. Built adjacent to the huge Ford bomber plant, which now houses the Kaiser-Frazer Corporation and Graham-Paige Motors, the airport contains six major runways besides the three hangars. The airport is located on an express highway, 30 miles west of Detroit, and has been idle since the war.

Willow Run Airport acquired By the University of Michigan, June 1946

Willow Run Airport acquired By the University of Michigan, June 1946 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, June 3, 1946
Caption
ARMY INSTALLATION: Part of the Army installation on the east side of Willow Run airfield is shown in the above picture. The War Assets Administration's license to the University provides for the transfer of the Army camp as well as the airport.