On the northeast corner of Ann St. and Fourth Ave. is the structure built in 1836 to house the short-lived Bank of Washtenaw. A stuccoed Greek Revival building, it was remodeled as a residence in 1847 for local businessman Volney Chapin, whose family lived there for almost thirty years.
It continued to play a role in the life of Courthouse Square as it was adapted for a sequence of businesses, including the Catalpa Hotel, Joe Parker's Saloon, the Chamber of Commerce, many service and welfare organizations, the local bus station, and the Peters Hotel.
Frame location: On North wall of Courthouse
This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library
Bank of Washtenaw
Banks & Banking
Joe Parker's Saloon
Ann Arbor Area Chamber Of Commerce
Downtown Ann Arbor Historical Street Exhibit Program
Site 7: Town life and the Courthouse square
A Former Bank and Estate on Ann Street