Huron Block, 1831
The two-story building on the far right in this early photograph was erected in 1831 on this side of Broadway by Asa Smith for his home and cabinet shop. It was the first brick structure in Lower Town. Next door, in 1833, Josiah Beckley built the three-story Huron block where he had a general store. It faced Anson Brown's new building on the other side of Broadway. Upstairs, Josiah's brother Guy Beckley published an influential abolitionist newspaper, "The Signal of Liberty," from 1841 to 1847. Over time the block housed grocery and variety stores, saloons, a meat market, and a bakery. Wooden sidewalks and cobblestone gutters edged the dirt street. The block was demolished in 1959.
Frame location: East side at north end of bridge
This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library