Press enter after choosing selection

Three Firemen Hurt As Blaze Damages Black Culture Unit

Three Firemen Hurt As Blaze Damages Black Culture Unit image
Parent Issue
Copyright Protected
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.
OCR Text

Three Ann Arraor firefighifs were anjured last night while battling a fire in a University-owned house used as a black culture center. Extensive fire, smoke and water damage was caused to the Trotter House at 1020 S. University Ave., a three-story structure, recently renovated to house culture displays and work areas for black U-M students. Fire Chief Arthur L. Stauch said firefighter Michael Collins was treated at University Hospital for a cut on his right index finger received from broken I glass at the scène. Firefighter Donald I Haywood collapsed, apparently from I smoke inhalatibn, at the central fire I tion after returning from the fire. He I was treated at St. Joseph Mercy I tal. Firefighter Richard Cryan was taken I to U-M Hospital after he collapsed from I smoke inhalation at the scène. AU three I men were released after treatment. Assistant Fire Chief Fred Schmid I directed 15 firemen, manning four pieces I of apparatus, to extinguish the blaze I which at one time filled the E. I University-S. University área withl smoke. I Fire Marshal John R. Williams said I the fire started from a gas hot water I heater in the southeast section of the I basement of the house. He said ñames I from the heater apparently swept 1 ward, igniting rafters and then moved I I rapidly up into 16-inch-wide I i to-attic openings between the floors and I partitions. ! Stauch said the openings were part of I the construction process of former years I ] when houses were built without fire I "stops." I "These openings form a chimney of I sorts and, of course, a fire at the bottom I I of one of them will shoot straight up," I j Stauch explained. I As the fire climbed, it spread out on I the first and second floor offices and I work rooms, damaging furnishings and I equipment, Schmid said. Some 1 ers using smoke masks were driven out I of the smoking building for brief periods I by the superheated air in the rooms. Firefighters finally extinguished all I I flames except for a portion in the attic of I I the house. The fire was under control at I I 8:12 p.m., about an hour after firemen 1 I rived. I Stauch said he had no immediate 1 I age estimate but expected it would run I j into the thousandsofdollarsj