The tombstone of Civil War veteran Steven Newton has been turned over to the Canton Historical Society. Newton died at the age of 61 in 1905 and was buried with family members in the Cherry Hill Cemetery in Canton. Some time later the tombstone disappeared from the cemetery and in 1970 was discovered by Harley Hein and Tom Bates, students from Adams School, in the Hein's backyard at 145 Johnston Street.
In 1971, Mrs. Thomas E. Bates, mother of one of the boys who discovered the tombstone, donated it to the Ypsilanti Historical Society where it had since been displayed.
“Research indicates the Newton family came from England to New York, and then to Michigan. Stephen and Henry settled in Canton, Michigan.”
About a month ago the Ypsilanti Historical Society received a letter from Richard Waldecker, President of the Canton Historical Society, requesting the gravestone be returned to Canton. Waldecker indicated they would like to place the tombstone in the Canton Historical Society Museum as part of their Canton Civil War soldier display.
Research indicates the Newton family came from England to New York, and then to Michigan. Stephen and Henry settled in Canton, Michigan. In fact, Newton Road in Canton was named after the Newton family, and at one time extended across the entire width of Section 28 of Canton Township, from Beck Road to Canton Center Road.
Stephen Newton was a Civil War soldier having enlisted in Company D, Third Michigan Calvary. Like so many other Civil War soldiers from Canton, Stephen enlisted in Ypsilanti.
Tombstone of Civil War veteran Stephen Newton.
Stephen Newton from an old tintype photograph.