Press enter after choosing selection

Bethel AME Church Centennial Souvenir Program, 1957

Publisher
Bethel AME Church of Ann Arbor
Day
8
Month
September
Year
1957
OCR Text

Centennial Souvenir Program

1857 1957

September 8th-15th

Bethel A.M.E. Church

632 North Fourth Avenue, Ann Arbor, Michigan

LYMAN S. PARKS, Pastor

Souvenir Program

ONE HUNDREDTH ANNIVERSARY

Bethel A.M.E. Church

Sunday, Sept. 8 to Sunday, Sept. 15, 1957

The Rt. Rev. Joseph Gomez, Presiding Bishop

The Rev. James A. Aikens, Presiding Elder

The Rev. Lyman S. Parks, Pastor

City of Ann Arbor
STATE OF MICHIGAN
OFFICE OF THE MAYOR

August 20, 1957

Ann Arbor is proud of Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church, and all the city joins in your commemoration. One hundred years of continuous history is a signal achievement, a record of service end accomplishment in which not only your membership but all the city takes satisfaction.

The heritage which is yours, however, is a long way from fullfilment. - The vision which moved the establishment of the Bethel Church, the inspiration which nurtured its growth, and the dedication which marks its present life, all challenge the members of your fellowship to renewed effort and purpose.

The grand and glorious ideal of the Kingdom of God is a reality in our lives, in our community, and in our nation and the nations of the world and must be a continuing hope, comfort and stimulus in the years ahead. As barriers are broken down in Ann Arbor, as we learn more fully the Gospel message of brotherhood—a message re-affirmed by the great leaders and prophets of all ages—the opportunities and the responsibilities of greater work together for the advancement of this ideal of the Kingdom are ours.

In this ongoing spirit of work and adventure may I salute you as co-workers and co-adventurers, I am impressed that the people of Bethel and their pastor are aware that the great teachings of Christianity demand practical and everyday application too—that small matters as well as lofty ones demand our attention and our concern. And in big things and small, in great tasks and in daily routine, my hope for us all is that we may merit the trust of the past in meeting the needs of today and tomorrow.

Samuel J Eldersveld

(2)

BISHOP JOSEPH GOMEZ 
Presiding Bishop of the Fourth Episcopal District
of the A. M. E. Church

(3)

BETHEL A.M.E. CHURCH 
632 North Fourth Avenue, Ann Arbor, Michigan

(4)

HISTORY OF BETHEL A.M.E. CHURCH

In the year 1855 a Community Church was organized in the city of Ann Arbor. Two years later, in 1857, this church became a unit of the African Methodist Episcopal Church known as Bethel A.M.E. Church. Rev. Brooks served as its first Pastor. This small group of worshippers held their first services in a small frame house located on that portion of Fuller Street now known as High Street. For the first ten years, under the administrations of Rev. Brooks, Rev. Fassett and Rev. Langford, the location of the church was changed several times. During the period that Rev. Jesse Bass, the successor to Rev. Langford, served as Pastor, negotiations were started for the purchase of a permanent church. In the meantime a small cottage, located on the west side of North Fourth Avenue, was used as a place of worship. In 1869 property directly across the street from the cottage that was used for church services was purchased and a frame structure erected thereon. This was Bethel’s first home of its own. Rev. Hart followed Rev. Bass as Shepherd of the Flock. After a short period Rev. Hart went into another field, and was replaced by Rev. Pope. Rev. Pope served until 1890 when Rev. Howard Cottman was appointed as Pastor of Bethel. With the membership having increased to over forty, the church was making rapid progress in being organized and set up in a proper manner. It was in the early part of Rev. Cottman’s administration that the realization came that the frame house of worship was fast deteriorating and that there was a vital need for a New Bethel. A church Conference was called and plans started for the new edifice. In 1891 the frame structure was moved to the rear of the church property, and construction begun on the new building. Through the loyalty and steadfastness of Rev. Cottman and his good people, the cornerstone for New Bethel was laid in the fall of 1891 by Bishop Turner. It was with great joy and a deep sense of gratitude to Almighty God that Rev. Cottman and his members moved from the old frame building into the completed basement of the new church for worship services. A group of young adults in the church known as The Furnishing Club completely furnished the basement of the church that it might be adequate for worship. In 1894 Rev. Cottman completed his administration and Rev. William Collins took up the good work and completed and furnished the auditorium. Many pews and windows in the new edifice were purchased by members. Outstanding among the windows was the one purchased by Mrs. John Freeman in memory of her mother, Mrs. E. Fassett, the wife of Rev. Fassett, who pastored Bethel in 1865. This window, through these many years, has remained intact, and is still a very attractive portion of Bethel. New Bethel was dedicated in 1896 with Rev. William Collins as Pastor, by Bishop Turner. During the next few years Bethel underwent a financial struggle, being caught in the depression following the Spanish American War. This was during the administrations of Rev. Watkins, Rev. Handy Simmons and Rev. Christberg. It was at this time that Bethel was found to be badly in debt and without credit. The Church had to be put up for sale. On the day of the sale a few of trustees sat in the courtroom silently praying as the gavel was about to be lifted. Just before the gavel was sounded one of the trustees, in the person of Stephan Adams ,rushed forward and forfeited his home that the church might be saved. It might be noted here that Stephen Adams was the father of Mrs. Lettie Harber, the oldest living member of Bethel.

With renewed courage and determination Bethel moved forward, and it was in 1910 that, during the time that Rev. Crosby served as Pastor, the first Bethel A.M.E. Parsonage in Ann Arbor was purchased. It was located at 113 N. Fourth Avenue. Shortly thereafter Rev. Crosby passed on, and Rev. Morley came to fill the vacancy. It was in 1915 that another parsonage was purchased, located at 215 N. Fifth Avenue; this took place under the leadership of Rev. Pierson. In 1917 Rev. J. A. Charleston, as a graduate of Wilburforce University, B.A., B.D. Cum Laude, came to pastor Bethel, Ann Arbor, and served for a period of three years. Following Rev. Ampey, who served for a period of one year, was the Rev. Edgehill who served both the church and the community in a commendable manner for a period of five years. In 1926 Rev. C. Z. Williams became Pastor, and was followed in September of 1929 by Rev. H. N. Tantsi. Rev. Tantsi endeavored to organize the church in a more proper manner insofar as the official family is concerned. The church also at that time made plans to sell the old Parsonage for a better one, but plans did not materialize. In the fall of 1932 Rev. Merchant was sent to Ann Arbor, but remained only a few months.

It was then that Rev. D. A. Blake assumed the reins of authority as Pastor of Bethel. It was under his administration that the Senior Choir once again was well organized; also during the time that he served as Pastor a new carpet was laid on the rostrum and in the aisles of the church. In 1936 Rev. W. T. Alexander became Pastor and made some improvements on the Parsonage during his stay in Ann Arbor. In the fall of 1938 Rev. J. W. Wright was transferred from the Canadian Conference to Bethel, Ann Arbor. Upon his arrival he found twro small mortgages and some current bills; an indebtedness amounting to a little over a thousand dollars. Before the end of the first year the indebtedness was cleared and the church’s standing in the community much improved. Also during his administration the lots just north of the church were purchased and a Parsonage fund and a church building fund established. Brothers James Brown, Normal Crosby and Clarence Carrington received their licenses to preach while Rev. J. W. Wright was the Pastor. In February of 1946 Rev. A. D. Evans came to be the leader. He made no changes in the church officials or methods of procedure, and with his amicable disposition kept the members at work. A new carpet and a Hammond organ were purchased, and the

(5)

rostrum enlarged; a hardwood floor was also laid during his stay here, in the basement of the church. Rev. W. F. Rice followed Rev. Evans and served four years as Pastor of Bethel. Arrangements were made at that time for purchase of the six lots on Plum Street. In September of 1953 Rev. R. A. Riddick was transferred from the Canadian Conference to Bethel, Ann Arbor. Negotiations were completed for the purchase of the six lots and they became the property of Bethel Church.

In the fall of 1954 Rev. Lyman S. Parks, the present Pastor of Bethel, was transferred from the Indiana Conference to Ann Arbor. He has served for the past three years and much has been accomplished during his administration. A new parsonage, located at 314 West Summit Street, has been purchased and furnished; an office at the church and at the Parsonage established and equipped; a gas furnace has been installed in the church and one hundred chairs purchased for the lecture room. The auditorium of the church has been renno-vated. Bethel, under the leadership of Rev. Parks, has been marching steadily onward and upward toward the realization of its fond hopes for New Bethel. Rev. Parks has done much in making the present Bethel an adequate institution for the city of Ann Arbor; meeting the spiritual, educational and social needs of its citizenry.

OFFICE STAFF

Reverend Lyman S. Parks..............Pastor

Shirley Baker...........Financial Secretary

Roberta Harris..........Office Secretary

(6)

REV. JAMES A. AIKENS

Presiding Elder, Detroit District

MRS. MAMIE AIKENS

Wife of the Presiding Elder

REV. J. A. CHARLESTON (former pastor)

Pastor of St. Paul A.M.E. Church Detroit

(7)

REVEREND LYMAN S. PARKS

Pastor of Bethel A. M. E. Church

Ann Arbor, Michigan

THE PASTOR SPEAKS

I, along with the members of my family, am happy to greet the family of Bethel on this your one hundredth anniversary. I count it an honor for this Centennial to take place during my administration. It is with a great deal of pride that 1 can say that I have served you for the past three years, and so am a part of this grand occasion. I have given over my life to serving you and the community, endeavoring to give you the best that I have. Your response has been most encouraging, for I can well say that Bethel Church has a mighty fine set of officers and a fine group of members; their loyalty cannot be surpassed.

It is at this time that our minds must turn back to the hero and heroines of old who made Bethel Church possible. There are those who have made great contributions toward the growth and development of Bethel Church; some have passed on, but others are still working diligently in the church. You have had some mighty fine leaders in the past. I count it a privilege and a challenge to follow in their footsteps.

Members of Bethel, let us take new courage and move forward. The challenge is not mine alone, for you must share it with me. Let us not forget that, above all else, our main task is to lead men to God. Let us as Pastor and people, place God before us as our Leader and victory will be ours.

(8)

LIVING ROOM IN THE NEW PARSONAGE

THE GUEST ROOM IN THE NEW PARSONAGE

(9)

THE PASTOR'S FAMILY

THE NEW PARSONAGE PURCHASED IN NOVEMBER 1954

(10)

CENTENNIAL PROGRAM

Sunday, September 8, 10:30 a.m. — Pastor Parks, Presiding

ORGAN PRELUDE

PROCESSIONAL......................Hymn No. 298 - “Holy, Holy, Holy”

GLORIA PATRI.......................................................Call to Worship

WORSHIP HYMN.........................No. 47 — “God of Our Fathers”

WORSHIP IN PRAYER..........................Brother Janies Cochrane

RESPONSIVE READING................No. 582(A) Evangelist — Annie Lee Hunter

SELECTION................................................Men of Bethel Chorus

SCRIPTURE

DECALOGUE

SELECTION.................................................Men of Bethel Chorus

SECOND MILE OFFERING

MEDITATION

OFFERING.........................Response — “All Things Come of Thee”

PREPARTORY HYMN.................No. 421 - “Rise Up O Men of God”

MESSAGE...............Dr. George A. Singleton, Editor, A.M.E. Review

LORD’S PRAYER

PRESENTATION OF THE OPEN DOOR

CLOSING HYMN............No. 369 — “Saviour More Than Life to Me”

DOXOLOGY - BENEDICTION - POSTLUDE

 

EVENING WORSHIP

SERMON..................Dr. George A. Singleton, Editor, A.M.E. Review

MUSIC .............................................................Men of Bethel Chorus

Dr. George A. Singleton

Editor of the A.M.E. Review

Rev. W. F. Rice (former pastor)

Presiding Elder in the Indiana

Annual Conference

(11)

CENTENNIAL PROGRAM

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 9th, 7:30 p.m. - Shirley Baker, Presiding

OPENING HYMN........................................................ Congregation

INVOCATION

SELECTIONS (a) and (b).................................Second Baptist Choir

GREETINGS .........................................................Mrs. Laura Taylor

SELECTIONS (a) and (b).................................Second Baptist Choir

ADDRESS......................................................Douglas E. H. Williams

(Trustee of Second Baptist Church and Executive Secretary of Dunbar Community Center)

SELECTION ......................................................Second Baptist Choir

OFFERTORY

REMARKS......................................................................Pastor Parks

BENEDICTION
 

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 10th — Johnella Williams, Presiding

OPENING HYMN............................................................Congregation

INVOCATION

SELECTIONS (a) and (b)..................................Senior Choir of Bethel

GREETINGS ............................................................Mrs. Hattie Jones

SELECTIONS (a) and (b)..................................Senior Choir of Bethel

SERMON ......................Rev. W. F. Rice, Presiding Elder of Indiana Conference

SELECTION ......................................................Senior Choir of Bethel

OFFERTORY

REMARKS........................................................................Pastor Parks

BENEDICTION .............................................................Rev. W. F. Rice

REVEREND DAVID A. BLAKE

(Former Pastor and Presiding Elder)

Pastor St. Stephen's A.M.E. Church, Chicago, Illinois

(12)

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, 7:30 p.m. - Sylvia B. Bynum, Presiding

OPENING HYMN............................................................Congregation

INVOCATION

SELECTIONS (a) and (b)..................................Senior Choir of Bethel

GREETINGS............................................................Mrs. Hildred Willis

SELECTIONS (a) and (b)..................................Senior Choir of Bethel

SERMON.........................................................Rev. David A. Blake, Sr.

Pastor, St. Stephen's A.M.E. Church, Chicago, Ill. 

SELECTION.......................................................Senior Choir of Bethel

OFFERTORY

REMARKS........................................................................Pastor Parks

BENEDICTION......................................................Rev. D. A. Blake, Sr.

 

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 12, 7:30 p.m. - Cora A. Rumsey, Presiding

OPENING HYMN..............................................................Congregation

INVOCATION

SELECTIONS (a) and (b).....................Choir of St. Paul A.M.E. Church, Detroit

GREETINGS............................................................Mrs. Lettie Harberd

SELECTIONS..........................Choir of St. Paul A.M.E. Church, Detroit

SERMON...............................................................Rev. J. A. Charleston

Pastor, St. Paul A.M.E. Church, Detroit

SELECTION..............................Choir of St. Paul A.M.E. Church, Detroit

OFFERTORY

REMARKS...........................................................................Pastor Parks

BENEDICTION.......................................................Rev. J. A. Charleston

 

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 13, 7:30 p.m. - Charles Johnson, Presiding

OPENING HYMN................................................................Congregation

INVOCATION

SELECTIONS...................Young Adult Choir, Oak Grove A.M.E. Church, Detroit

GREETING ............................Samuel J. Eldersveld, Mayor of Ann Arbor

SELECTIONS (a) and (b)...........Young Adult Choir, Oak Grove A.M.E. Church, Detroit

SERMON ..................................................................Rev. James A. Dixon

Pastor, Oak Grove A.M.E. Church, Detroit

SELECTIONS (a) and (b)............Young Adult Choir, Oak Grove A.M.E. Church, Detroit

OFFERTORY

REMARKS ..........................................................................Pastor Parks

BENEDICTION .......................................................Rev. James A. Dixon
 

REV. JOHN W. WRIGHT

(Former Pastor)

Pastor, Alton, Illinois
 

REV. A. D. EVANS

(Former Pastor)

Pastor, Allen Temple, Detroit
 

(13)

 

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 14th

CENTENNIAL BARBEQUE .....................Sponsored by MEN Of BETHEL

 

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 10:30 a.m. — Richard Dennard, Presiding

SERMON........................................................Reverend Mary W. Stewart

MUSIC............................................................Combined Choirs of Bethel

GREETINGS.............................................................Mr. Charles Harrison

 

SUNDAY AFTERNOON, 3:30 p.m. - Parthenia Parker, Presiding

ANNIVERSARY SERMON................................Rev. A. D. Evans, Pastor

Allen Temple A.M.E. Church, Detroit

MUSIC.............................................Choir of Allen Temple A.M.E. Church

GREETINGS ................................................................Mr. William Hodge

 

SUNDAY 6:00 p.m. - CENTENNIAL FELLOWSHIP

COMMITTEE.........................Mesdames Ella Gall, Ima McFadden and Sadie Grace

 

CENTENNIAL COMMITTEE: Richard D. Blake, General Chairman; Roberta Harris, Sec'y-Historian; Shirley Baker, Chairman, Finance & Program; Sylvia B. Bynum, Chairman of Publicity; Cora A. Rumsey, Chairman of Memorial Committee; Lettie Harberd, Memorial Committee.

ENTERTAINMENT COMMITTEE: Edward E. Kelley, Chairman; William Brennan, Charles Grace, Ernest Robinson, Lloyd Tankston, Stanley Wright, Richard Skelton.

(14)

GREETINGS and BEST WISHES

To

BETHEL A.M. E. CHURCH

on its

ONE HUNDREDTH ANNIVERSARY

Reverend C. W. Carpenter

Pastor, Second Baptist Church

Ann Arbor, Michigan

The Old Parsonage    215 N. Fifth Ave. 1915—1954

(15)

REVEREND LYMANS PARKS, ANNIE LEE HUNTER, JAMES COCHRANE

SUNDAY MORNING CONGREGATION AT BETHEL—JULY 28, 1957

(16)

STEWARDS: William Brennan, A. B. Brown, Sylvia B. Bynum, Sadie Grace, Curtis Little, Nelson Powers, Richard Skelton, Lloyd Tankston, Frank Williams, Johnella Williams, Stanley Wright.

TRUSTEES: James W. Anderson, Charles Baker, Shirley Baker, Richard Blake, Udoies Collins, Claude Debow, Richard Dennard, Charles Grace, Thomas Harrison, Ivory Jones, Edward Kelley, Ima McFadden, Ernest Robinson.

(17)

CLASS LEADERS: Ruth C. Kelley, Maxine Collins, Theodore M. France, Charles Wright, Charles Harrison, Frank Williams, Florence Powers, Nella Little, Stanley Wright, Sylvia B. Bynum, Alza Baxter, Edward E. Kelley, Shirley Baker, Luella Bacon, William Brennan, Ella Hall, Richard Skelton, Charles Grace, Helen Arnold, Johnella Williams.

OFFICIAL BOARD MEETING

(18)

STEWARDESS BOARD: Roberta Harris, President; Alza Baxter, Vice-President; Marie Jones, Secretary; Eloise Murphy, Assistant Secretary; Florence Powers, Treasurer; Janet Hinton, Ruby Luten, Maxine Preston, Norma Roberts, Lucy Ann Williams, Lottie Wilson.

STEWARDESS BOARD

The Stewardess Board of Bethel A.M.E. Church that is now serving as an active Board was organized in 1937 under the administration of Rev. W. T. Alexander. The original Board was made up of three members: Mrs. Maxine Preston, Mrs. Leone Woods and Mrs. Gladys Jones. The Board was then known as the Junior Stewardess Borad and was in training under the supervision of Stewardess Board No. 1. Members were added from time to time until a full quota for a Stewardess Board was reached; nine in number. In 1939 this Board became an independent organization and worked jointly with Stewardess Board No. 1. From 1939 to 195G there were the two Stewardess Boards active in Bethel Church. At that time the members of Board No. 1 were made honorary Stewardesses and Stewardess Board No. 2 then became the one active Stewardess Board of Bethel Church. For the past 18 years this Board has been loyal in the performing of its duties, and met the financial calls of the Steward Department and Bethel Church proper whenever requested to do so.

(19)

DEACONESS BOARD: Hattie Jones, Chairman; Beatrice Bird, Secretary; Hazel Fields, Treasurer; Serena Bradley, Elma Harrison, Emma Harrison, Lulu Thorton.

THE DEACONESS BOARD

For many years Mrs. Alice Lee served as the only Deaconess in Bethel Church. She did a fine work in visiting the sick and shut-ins, the hospitals and those confined in jail.

As Bethel grew and enlarged her outlook, a need was felt for a Deaconess Board to minister to the community. Such a Board was formed when Rev. J. YV. Wright, during his administration as Pastor of Bethel, appointed Mrs. Hattie Robinson and Mrs. Beatrice Bird as Deaconesses. This occurred in 1944. They were recommended by the next Quarterly Conference and in August of that year were confirmed at the Annual Conference in Elkhart, Indiana by the late Bishop Gregg. Mrs. Beatrice Bird served as the Chairman of the Deaconess Board. In 1945 Mrs. Annette Morgan and    Miss Kitty Walker were confirmed as Deaconesses. In February of 1946 a valiant warrior, in the person of Mrs. Alice Lee, went to her reward. Serena Bradley was confirmed as a Deaconess in August of 1946. As the need for more Deaconesses was felt, Mrs. Leona Griggs and Mrs. Hattie Jones were confirmed in 1947. In 1949 Mrs. Mary Jane White, Mrs. Elma Harrison, Mrs. Hazel Fields and Mrs. Lulu Thorton were also confirmed.

Death thinned the ranks once again in the passing of Mrs. Kitty Walker in September of 1951 and Mrs. Annette Morgan in November of 1952. In the meantime Mrs. Hattie Robinson left the Connection and Mrs. Leona Griggs moved to Atlanta, Georgia. Mrs. Emma Harrison was added to the Board, being confirmed in 1956. Mrs. Mary Jane White slipped away to be with her Master in April of 1957.

Throughout the years the Deaconess Board has been diligent in visiting the sick and shut-ins. Financial aid has been given in many cases when there was a real need. They have brought cheer and comfort to many and stand ready at all times to serve the Master and their church in any way possible.

(20)

SENIOR CHOIR:    Richard D. Blake, Director; Juanita Anderson, Organist; Luella Bacon, President; Helen Arnold, Secretary; Gladys Brown, Treasurer; James W. Anderson, Richard Blake, Richard Dennard, Thelma Deon, Charles Grace, Sadie Grace, Christine Jones, Curtis Little, Ims McFadden, Andrew Lee Wilson, Charles Wright, Hattie Wright.

THE SENIOR CHOIR

Our earliest recollection of an organized Senior Choir in Bethel is the one directed by Mr. Levi Bates beginning in 1923 under the administration of Rev. Edgehill as Pastor. This choir under the direction of Mr. Bates, is believed to be one of the best choirs to have sung in Bethel Church. Sherman Bates, son of the director, played the violin for the choir at this time. This choir had a membership of 25.

Following Mr. Bates as director was Mr. VonCharleton, a student in the School of Music at the University of Michigan; and then Mr. Otto Pharr, also a student at the University. In 1933 Mrs. Grace H. Blake, wife of the Pastor of Bethel at that time, Rev. D. A. Blake, became directress and served the musical department of Bethel Church for thirteen years. During the time that she served as directress, the choir rendered several annual musicales. These were occasions that the Pastor and People of Bethel could well be proud of. Following Mrs. Blake’s regime, Mrs. Elizabeth Debow, Mrs. Hattie Jones and Miss Sylvia Palmore served as directresses. Miss Palmore has just recently received her M.A. degree from the School of Music at the University of Michigan and so has completed her regime with the choir. At the present time Richard D. Blake is serving as director for the choir and Miss Juanita Anderson as organist.

One outstanding feature of the choir is the thirty-two year reign of Mrs. Hattie Jones as organist for the choir — 1925-1957. An outstanding achievement is the purchase of a new piano for Bethel in 1954, under the supervision of Mrs. Hattie Jones. The Senior Choir has been found to be very loyal in the service that it has rendered to Bethel, ever faithful at their post of duty and ready and willing to serve whenever called upon. The cantatas that have been rendered and the various activities that have been given by the Senior Choir have been greatly appreciated by the Pastors and members of Bethel Church.

(21)

GOSPEL CHOIR: Melrose Lethcoe, Director; Frank Williams, President; Pauline Davis, Vice-President; Jessie Mae Moore, Secretary; Kathrine Sheppard, Treasurer; Waldora Arnold, Ethel Brown, Margurite Bryant, James Hemphill, Constance Hudson, Lula Mack, Ernestine Morris, Ovilla Newman, Eva Patterson, Thomas Perkins, Johnnie Mae Seeley, Celia Swanson.

THE GOSPEL CHOIR

The Gospel Choir of Bethel Church was organized in 1940 with Mrs. Eva (Pitts) Patterson as Directress and Pianist. Under her leadership the choir grew to a membership of twenty-two. Mrs. Patterson served the musical department of Bethel Church for several years. In 1955 Melrose Lethcoe became director and pianist and, at that time, served for but a short period. In the fall of 1950 Charles Adams, a talented singer and pianist, was appointed as director and served until his health failed him the early part of 1957. It was at this time that our present leaders of the Choir, Melrose Lethcoe and Timothy Sims, became co-directors. The choir now furnishes music for the services at Bethel on the second and fourth Sundays in each month. Since its organization, the choir has been found to be always ready and willing to serve whenever called upon; accompanying the Pastor, at times, on his visits to the various churches, and singing whenever needed for special occasions at their own church. The Gospel Choir has been loyal in their financial support to their church and in giving their wholehearted cooperation to the Pastor and people of Bethel.

(22)

MISSIONARY SOCIETY: Cora A. Rumsey, President; Hazel Fields, Vice-President; Sylvia B. Bynum, Secretary; Maxine Preston, Asst. Sec'y; Alice Owens; Treasurer; Doris Anthony, Ruby Baker, Beatrice Bird, Georgia Coleman, Maxine Collins, Hazel Fields, Lettie Harberd, Roberta Harris, Elma Harrison, Emma Harrison, Lucille Harrison, Lillian Johnson, Hattie Jones, Marie Jones, Celia Knox, Lillian Murray, Cleo Parks, Florence Powers, Louisa Powers, Norma Roberts, Annie Robinson, Kathrine Sheppard, Josephine Tankston, Lulu Thorton.

THE WOMEN'S MISSIONARY SOCIETY

The Missionary Department of the African Methodist Episcopal Church was organized to promote Christian education by way of Mission Schools and Churches throughout the United States and in foreign lands.

Although this Department was established in 1874, the Society of Bethel was not started until the early part of this century. The organizer was Mrs. Fannie Crump, and it was named “The Fannie Jackson Coppin Missionary Society", for the wife of Bishop Levi J. Coppin. Although Bethel is one of the smaller churches in the Michigan Conference, the church membership at large, as well as the members of the Society, have felt very keenly their responsibility to help spread the gospel. To this end, they have not only been active in their own community, but have given of their time and of their means to the extent that few societies in the Conference Branch have surpassed the Fannie Jackson Coppin Missionary Society in contributions of funds and other materials for the expansion of the work.

The Young People’s Department of a Missionary Society is a challenge to any church. Bethel has been fortunate to have a strong active Young People’s Department for the past twenty years. Not only have they helped individuals in the community and their own church, but, like the Seniors, have contributed large sums of money to the Conference Branch.

Without moral support from the Pastor the missionary endeavor in a church is often stymied, but many of Bethel’s Pastors have been “mission minded", and the societies, both Seniors and Juniors, have profited by their interest in the work.

Some of the Presidents of the Fannie Jackson Coppin Woman’s Missionary Society have been: Lottie Crosby, Eliza Morris, Eva McComas, Grace H. Blake, Hazel Fields, Emma Harrison, Sylvia B. Bynum, Roberta Harris, Lucy Moody and Cora A. Rumsey.

(23)

YOUNG ADULT GROUP: Corinne Thompson, President; Lucy Ann Williams, Vice-President; Jean Brown, Recording Sec'y; Grace Ruthledge, Corresponding Sec'y; Ovilla Newman, Treasurer; Marie Bowles, Constance Hudson, Ernestine Morris, Mrs. Cora Rumsey, Supervisor.

THE YOUNG ADULT GROUP

There has, recently, been added a new branch to the Young People's Department of the Michigan Conference Branch of the Woman's Missionary Society — namely “The Young Adult Group”. One was organized in the local Young People’s Department in 1954 by Mrs. Margaret Carrington, who became its supervisor. At the time of its organization the group had a membership of five. As the interest grew and the organization developed, more members were added and its activities increased. This group of young women have not been organized very long, but they arc to be commended for the splendid manner in which they have responded to the financial calls of the Michigan Conference Branch as well as those of the local Church.

An outstanding achievement of this organization has been the embroidering of a tablecloth for one of the tables in the church lecture room. It is the plan of these young women to soon include in their activities a Mission Study Course. The membership of the Young Adult Group is composed almost in its entirety, of young mothers, and so Bethel is looking forward to their continued Christian support.

(24)

ALLEN STARS: Linda Sue Parks, President; Barbara Ann Fields, Vice-President; Carol Ann Preston, Secretary; Jennifer Benton, Stephanie Collins, Novelle Davis, Anne Henderson, Sharon Longaire, Alice McKaye, Betty Ann McKaye, Blondeen Munson, Mrs. Sylvia B. Bynum, Supervisor.

YOUTH GUILD: Shirley Beckley, President; Betty Roberts, Vice-Pres.; Dolores Preston, Sec'y; Mary Ann Collins, Treas.; Gwendolyn Day, Irma Harrison, Janet Hill, Shirley Hill, Frances Parry, Mrs. Josephine Tankston, Supervisor.

(25)

Some of Those Who Have Served and Gone to Their Reward

• Abram, Lulu •Adams, Arabell •Adams, Stephen •Alexander, Hattie Alexander, Robert •Anderson, Alice •Beckley, Matibelle Bryant, Rosa Carson, Robert Coleman, Arthur Collins, Charles Connor, Beatrice •Cox, Charles •Cox, Sarah •Craft, Celia Cromwell, Lillian •Crosby, Lottie •Crump, Abner • Crump, Fannie •Davis, Artie •Davis, Frank Gooding, Irene •Grant, Elzina •Green, Sarah •Gulley, Bessie Hall, Lena Hall, Matt •Harris, Fannie

•Harrison, Charles Harrison, Mattie •Harrison, Walter Harrison, Rev. T. S., Sr. Harshaw, Ida Haynie, Birdie •Hughbanks, Isaac •Hughbanks, Mary Hurst, Ellen Jackson, Burt Jackson, Harriett •Jackson, Laura Jackson, Mary •Johnston, Oretha •Jones, Edward •Jones, Gladys •Lee, Alice •McComas, Eva Mitchell, Charles Mitchell, Clara Mitchell, John Mitchell, Mary Moody, Lucy •Morgan, Annette Morgan, Frank Morris, Marie Morton, Jennie Owens, Mary •Page, Grace

•Parks, Lawrence S. •Payne, Leonard •Pope, George •Preston, Arthur Ragland, Arra Ragland, John W. Rice, Ruby •Robbins, Henry •Robbins, Martha •Saunders, Elizabeth •Shelby, Herman •Sherman, Parley Simmons, Ella Smith, Sophia Starks, Bertha •Swanson, Blanche •Terrell, Paralee •Thomas, Wm. O. •Tinncll, Josie Turner, Jane •Walker, Kitty •Washington, James Watson, Martha •Watts, James •White, Mary Jane White, Ida •Wiggs, Nannie Williams, Jennie

Died in Office

(26)

IN MEMORIAM

WALTER HARRISON

ARTHUR W. PRESTON

LAWRENCE PARKS

ALICE LEE

KITTY WALKER

(27)

JUNIOR USHER BOARD: Margaret Baker, Shirley Beckley, Gwendolyn Day, Francis Perry, Dolores Preston, Brenda Wright, Mrs. Pauline Dennard, Supervisor.

ALLEN CHRISTIAN ENDEAVOR LEAGUE: Charles Johnson, Pres.; Eloise Murphy, Sec'y; Mrs. Helen Arnold, Treas.; James Anderson, Jr., Homer Arnold, Irven Arnold, Marcella Arnold, Jenifer Benton, Joseph Crawford, Barbara Ann Fields, Anne Henderson, Blondeen Munson, Eloise Murphy, Linda Sue Parks, Carol Ann Preston, Delores Preston, Bobby Scott, Robert Williams.

(28)

SENIOR USHER BOARD: Parthenia Parker, Pres.; Pauline Dennard, Sec'y; William Brennan, Treas.; Lulabelle Anderson, Laurel Benton, Gertude Brennan, Izella Brooks, Margurite Bryant, James Campbell, Lula Gates, James Parker, Ernest Robinson, Governor Robinson, Baron Williams.

BETHEL'S USHERS

It is true that Bethel Church has had an Usher Board for a goodly number of years, perhaps, for an Usher Board is a very important part of any church. The Usher Board that is now serving, however, was organized in November, 1954, the early part of Rev. Parks’ administration as Pastor of Bethel. At one period, since its organization, there was a Board of Women Ushers, Men Ushers and Junior Ushers. Recently the men and women have combined their Boards and there is just the one Senior Usher Board and one Junior Usher Borad now serving in Bethel Church.

The Junior Ushers, under the supervision of Mrs. Pauline Dennard, one of the members of the Senior Usher Board, are rendering fine service for their church. Mrs. Dennard took over the supervision of the Juniors when their organizer and former supervisor, Mrs. Johnella Williams, had to give them up because of ill health.

The Senior Usher Board has been very loyal to their church and have proven to be efficient in the manner in which they perform their duties. Whenever the church has called up the Usher Board for an obligation, financial or otherwise, they have always respondedto the call. This is most encouraging to any leader; Bethel is indeed proud of her ushers.

(29)

BOARD OF CHRISTIAN EDUCATION: James Horne, Chairman; Harry Mial, Asst. Chairman; Johnella Williams, Sec'y-Treas.; Richard Blake, James Cochrane, Maxine Collins, Roberta Harris, Thomas S. Harrison.

SUNDAY SCHOOL STAFF: Thomas S. Harrison, Supt.; Harry Mial, Asst. Supt.; Barbara Harden, Sec'y; Dolores Preston, Asst. Sec'y; Gladys Brown, Treas.; Sylvia B. Bynum, Supt. Home Dept.; Ovilla Newman, Supt. Cradle Roll; Shirley Beckley, Organist.

TEACHERS, SENIOR DEPT.: A. B. Brown, James Cochrane, Theresa Cochrane, Maxine Collins, Lillian Harrison, Harry Mial, Jessie Mae Moore, Theophilus McKay; PRIMARY DEPT.: Roberta Harris, Supt.; Gladys Brown, Asst. Supt.; Sandra Nelson, Organist-Sec'y; TEACHERS: Annie Anthony, Luella Bacon, Alza Baxter, Gladys Brown, Colleen Knox, Joette Mial, Eva Mitchell, Bettye Wright.

(30)

SENIOR DEPARTMENT OF BETHEL'S SUNDAY SCHOOL

PRIMARY DEPARTMENT OF BETHEL'S SUNDAY SCHOOL

(31)

THE ALTAR GUILD

THE ALTAR BOYS

(32)

THE ALTAR GUILD

The idea of the Altar Guild, one of the most recently organized groups of Bethel Church, stemmed as a result of the newly appointed Altar Boys (nine in number).

Rev. L. S. Parks, in the early part of his administration as Pastor of Bethel, selected eight boys ranging in age from eight to ten years, to serve as Altar Boys: Lawrence Parks, Larry Parks, Ronald Newman, Donald Newman, Joseph McFadden, Ronald Franklin, Udoies Collins and Oliver Taylor. In August of 1955 Mrs. Sylvia B. Bynum was appointed as Supervisor of this group. There has been one death, and that is in the person of Master Lawrence Parks — April 2, 1957. Leo, his younger brother, was selected to replace him with the Altar Boys, and Anthony, a younger brother of Oliver Taylor’s, was added to the group, making nine Altar boys now serving.

In June of 1956 an Altar Guild was organized with Mrs. Sylvia B. Bynum being elected as its first President. The purpose of this guild is to not only assist with the Altar Boys, but to also furnish flowers weekly for the Altar and also such altar equipment as flags, altar curtains and other furnishings as they are needed. The benevolent spirit of the Guild is shown through the visits made and the flowers and cards given to the sick and shut-ins of the community. This organization also makes regular financial contributions to the church.

ALTAR GUILD

Sylvia B. Bynum..............................President

Lettie Harberd..........................Vice-President

Mary Reeder....................................Secretary

Marie Jones.....................Assistant Secretary

Ruth C. Kelley.................................Treasurer

Luella Bacon

Sadie Hurst

Louisa Powers

Maxine Preston

Hildred Willis

ALTAR BOYS

Udoies Collins

Ronald Franklin

Joseph McFadden

Donald Newman

Ronald Newman

Larry Parks

Leo Parks

Anthony Taylor

Oliver Taylor

Lawrence Parks (deceased)

(33)

Congratulations

FROM THE

MEN OF BETHEL

RISE UP, O MEN OF GOD

Rise up, O men of God! Have done with lesser things;
Give heart and soul and mind and strength to serve the King of kings.

Rise up, O men of God! His kingdom tarries long:
Bring in the day of brotherhood and end the night of wrong.

Rise up, O men of God! The church for you doth wait,
Her strength unequal to her task: Rise up and make her great!

Lift high the cross of Christ! Tread where his feet have trod:
As brothers of the Son of Man rise up, O men of God!

(34)

MEN OF BETHEL: Rev. Lyman S. Parks, Pastor; Richard D. Blake, Pres.; A. B. Brown, Vice-Pres.; James D. Cochrane, Sec'y; Thomas S. Harrison, Asst. Sec'y; Ernest W. Robinson, Treas.; Irven Arnold, Charles Baker, Percy Brennan, William Brennan, Udoies Collins, Claude Debow, Richard Dennard, William Dickson, Charles Grace, Louis Harris, Joseph Harrison, Curtis Little, Cedric Morris, Jollie Owens, James Parker, Nelson Powers, Arthur Preston, Jr., Thomas Sheppard, Richard Skelton, Baron Williams, Frank Williams, Charles Wright, Stanley Wright.

THE MEN OF BETHEL

The thought for The Men of Bethel came as a result of the fellowship treated among the men of Bethel during Men Day activities for 1957. This dub, the most recently organized group of the church, was properly organized on May 9, 1957 with Richard D. Blake being elected as President. The organization has a membership of 33. The purpose of this group is to continue the Christian fellowship that had already been treated among the men of Bethel and to extend this same united spirit into the families of the church; also to afford the men of Bethel an opportunity to better serve their church wherever and whenever they might be needed. It is the plan of this organization to divide their membership up into interest groups. These will be composed of men who have like interests such as the Bible, world affairs, arts and crafts, and sports. A Family Night was given by The Men of Bethel on Sunday, June 30, and, at that time, was established as a permanent part of our church to be given once a quarter.

(35)

PASTOR'S AID: Thelma Jones, Pres.; Nancy Anthony, Vice-Pres.; Dorothy Owens, Recording Sec'y; Parthenia Parker, Financial Sec'y; Odessa Robinson, Treasurer; Lulu Abroms, Lulabelle Anderson, Lucille Bridges, Izella Brooks, Myrtle Dickson, Lorraine Fondren, Ima McFadden, Cleo Parks.

PASTOR'S AID

On Sunday, March 10, 1957 the Pastor’s Aid observed its eleventh anniversary by having as its guest speaker for an afternoon service, its organizer, Rev. A. D. Evans. Yes, it was on March 7, 1946 that the Pastor’s Aid of Bethel A.M.E. Church was organized by Rev. A. D. Evans, then the Pastor of Bethel. The club then had a membership of twelve and Mrs. Odessa (Carter) Robinson served as its first President. The motto for the organization was "Let us climb upward even though the way may be rugged”, and the colors for the club — green and white. The purpose of the Pastor’s Aid is as the name indicates: to assist the Pastor and his wife. This group of workers, during the past ten years, has not only served its purpose well, but has also met all organizational obligations to the church. The present membership is twelve, and includes: Thelma Jones, President: Nancy Anthony, Vice President; Dorothy Owens, Recording Secretary; Parthenia Parker, Financial Secretary, and Odessa Robinson, Treasurer; Lulu Abroms, LulaBelle Anderson, Lucille Bridges, Izella Brooks, Myrtle Dickson, Lorraine Fondren, Ima McFadden and Cleo Parks.

(36)

TRUSTEE HELPERS: Andrew Lee Wilson, Pres.; Josephine Tankston, Vice-Pres.; Cleo Parks, Sec'y; Roberta Harris, Asst. Sec'y; Alza Baxter, Treas.; Doris Anthony, Gladys Brown, Maxine Collins, Thelma Deon, Lorraine France, Hattie Wright.

TRUSTEE HELPERS

During the early part of Rev. J. W. Wright’s administration as Pastor of Bethel Church, the branch of the Young People's Department known as the Young Woman's Auxiliary, was newly organized with Roberta (Rumsey) Harris serving as its first President. The Young Woman’s Auxiliary was active for a period of eight years, fulfilling all obligations to the local Young People's Department as well as those of the Michigan Conference Branch of the Woman’s Missionary Society. Benevolence and making financial contributions to the church proper were also included in the organization's activities. The members, having passed the age limit for eligibility for membership in the Young Woman's Auxiliary, and desiring to remain intact as a church club, agreed to change their name to “The Young Adult Forum”. The group interests then became centered about the church proper. A benevolent spirit was shown through the various projects given to assist the shut-ins and sick of the church and community. Also included in our activities were efforts to assist in making improvements in Bethel Church such as furnishing the Pastor’s study; purchasing of supplies for the kitchen and making regular contributions to the Trustee Department of the church. In 1953, realizing that our activities were centered almost in their entirety about the Trustee Department, we deemed it best to become known as ‘‘The Trustee Helpers”.

Throughout the years this group of women have exemplified a very fine sense of loyalty to their organization and to their church. Whatever their success has been, has not alone been due to the loyalty of the membership, but also to the splendid leaders that they have had. Some of them are: Roberta Harris, Leone Woods, Helen Arnold, Eloise Evans, Josephine Tankston, Gradie Marney and Andrew Lee Wilson.

(37)

BASKETBALL TEAM: Wallace Anderson, Wesley Barnard, James Campbell, Jessie Campbell, Willie Heiligh, Willie Jones, James Officer, Dempsey Taylor, Roland Thompson, Joe Walker.

CHEERLEADERS: Shirley Beckley, Gwen Day and Francis Parry.

(38)

Compliments of

ANN ARBOR CHAPTER OF THE

N. A. A. C. P.

Join the

"FIGHT FOR FREEDOM"

MR. DOUGLAS E. H. WILLIAMS

Extends

GREETINGS AND BEST WISHES

To

BETHEL A. M. E. CHURCH

on its

ONE HUNDREDTH ANNIVERSARY

THOMAS S. HARRISON, JR.

Real Estate Salesman    Tax Consultant

Home Building — Home Financing

Real Estate Soles and Purchases

Apartment Rentals—Property Management

Insurance of All Kinds

Organized to serve your every Housing Need

Office Phone:   

HUnter 2-0375    

Residence    Phone:

NOrmandy 2-9311

(39)

Compliments of

EDWARD E. KELLEY

CARPET AND FURNITURE CLEANERS

NORMANDY 2-4389

120 EAST SUMMIT STREET
ANN    ARBOR,    MICHIGAN

Compliments of

POWERS CLEANERS

Two-Day Service

PHONE:    NORMANDY    5-6631

1020 CATHERINE STREET
 

BULLOCK'S CLEANERS

Press While You Wait

ONE-DAY SERVICE

Pick-up and Delivery

NOrmandy 3-3424    209    N.    Fourth    Ave.

NATIONAL BARBER AND

BEAUTY SHOP

Specializing in

HAIR STYLING, TINTING and DYEING

Manicuring, Shampoo and Hair Cut

NO 8-9576

J. D. Hall, Prop.    

201 S. Main St.

Joe Hall, Mgr.

(40)

And Now Abideth Faith, Hope and Charity,

But the Greatest of These is Charity.

The Officers and Members of Pratt Lodge

No. 322, B.P.O.E.O.W., most sincerely

congratulate Bethel A.M.E. Church

on its Centennial Anniversary

CHARLES HAYDEN, Exalted Ruler

BRET MILLER, SR., Secretary

(41)

Compliments of

ANN ARBOR PAINT AND
BODY SHOP    
    
Louis Harris, Proprietor    

Phone NO 2-4892    
5375 PLATT ROAD

GREETINGS!

DAISY CHAIN TEMPLE NO. 212

I B P O E of W

Nellie Monamus, Daughter Ruler

Louise Philpot, Vice Dt. Ruler

Winifred Reynolds, Asst. Dt. Ruler

Jessie Humphrey, Chaplain

Dorcas White, Recording Secretary

Bettye Wilson, Financial Sec'y

Charlotte B. Munroe, Asst. Fin. Sec'y

Anna Parker, Treasurer

Compliments of    

ST. MARY'S LODGE NO. 4, F. & A.M.    
215 East Davis Street
Ann Arbor, Michigan    

Bro. Jesse J. Evans..............Worshipful Master
Bro. Ellis Fondren...............................Secretary
Bro. Harry Barnette............................Treasurer
Bro. Henry Holley.......................Senior Warden
Bro. James O. Mason.................Junior Warden
Bro. Thomas Perkins..................Senior Warden
Bro. Ernest Robinson..................Junior Deacon
Bro. Benjamin Moody................................Tyler

(42)

HELPING HAND FELLOWSHIP CLUB: Cora A. Rumsey, Pres.; Emma Harrison, Vice-Pres.; Sylvia B. Bynum, Sec'y; Luella Bacon, Asst. Sec'y; A. B. Brown, Treas.; Gladys Brown, Serena Bradley, Maxine Collins, Louis Harris, Roberta Harris, Sadie Hurst, Lillian Murray, Maxine Preston, Minnie Washington.

THE HELPING HAND FELLOWSHIP CLUB

The Helping Hand Fellowship Club was organized during the Pastorate of Rev. J. W. Wright. The membership was made up of members of the Adult Bible Class of Bethel A.M.E. Church, at that time taught by Mrs. Sylvia B. Bynum, and a portion of the Sunday School teachers. The group was first named “The Sarah Allen Bible Class” after the wife of our first Bishop, Richard Allen. The fact that there were both men and women in the organization led the name to be changed to “The Allen Bible Class”. In recent years the name has once again been changed to “The Helping Hand Fellowship Club” to coincide with the type of work being done by the Club. T here have been forty-two members enrolled since its organization; six have died; three have transferred their membership to other churches; six have moved out of town and eleven have discontinued as members. The present enrollment is sixteen.

Mrs. Cora Rumsey was elected as the Club's first president and has served throughout the years. It is under her leadership that The Helping Hand Fellowship Club has achieved so much. Some of the organization's contributions to Bethel Church have been: in 1948 it furnished Hymn Books and Bibles, and again in 1954 it furnished Hymn Books; a silver tea set and lace table cloth; plastic curtains for the lecture room; ninety-three articles for the kitchen; velveteen cloth for the pulpit and table; Easter lilies for the rostrum several years; T he organization made financial donations toward the new piano and also toward the renovating of the church. Some of the other achievements of the group have been: financial contributions to the Community Chest, Red Cross, March of Dimes, Over the Sea Blind, Monrovia School and individuals in distress. Financial contributions have also been made to several religious causes: The American Bible Society, Rev. Charles Fuller's Revival Program over the air, the A.M.E. Church at Cassopolis, Michigan. A benevolent spirit was shown in the group giving clothing for the hurricane sufferers in Jamaica and also for the residents of the Cedar Rest Home. At Easter time one year this club provided ice cream and cake for the inmates of the Washtenaw County Infirmary, and have also from time to time, sent flowers and cards to the sick and sorrowing of the community. The Helping Hand Fellowship Club salutes Bethel on its One Hundredth Anniversary.

(43)

Office Telephone    

NOrmandy 8-7483    

Residence    Telephone

NOrmandy    8-7483

BLAKE REALTY COMPANY

Richard D. Blake, Broker

APARTMENT RENTALS

PROPERTY MANAGEMENT

645 NORTH FOURTH AVE.

ANN ARBOR, MICHIGAN

CONGRATULATIONS

To  

BETHEL A.M.E. CHURCH 

On Their Centennial Celebration
 
ANN ARBOR WOMEN'S    
FEDERATION

Mrs. Caleb Baker, President

Mrs. Wallace Officer, Secretary

Mrs. Walter Wickliffe, Treasurer

Greetings to Bethel A.M.E. Church

on its

One Hundredth Anniversary!

GOLDEN RULE

FRIENDSHIP CLUB

Mrs. Douglas E. H. Williams, President

Mrs. Leroy Raveling, Vice-Pres.

Mrs. Charles Baker, Secretary

Mrs. Cora Coprich, Treasurer

(44)

NAOMI CHAPTER NO. 12 O.E.S

In October of 1917 Mr. A. J. White, Mr. J. C. Woods, Mr. J. E. Day and Mrs. Annette Morgan organized an Order of Eastern Stars Chapter in the City of Ann Arbor. Following organization the group met in the club form semi-monthly until the second Tuesday in August of 1918 when Naomi Chapter No. 12 O.E.S. was set up in a proper manner. Their first elective officers were A. J. White, Worthy Patron; Jane Woods, Worthy Matron; Naomi White (Cooper), Associate Matron; Lydia Thorton, Secretary; Hattie Day, Treasurer; Magnola Lewis, Conductress; and Elsie Martin, Associate Conductress. The Chapter then had a membership of 28. There have been 19 Worthy Matrons and 11 Worthy Patrons of Naomi Chapter; eight Past Worthy Matrons arc still active Order of Eastern Star workers and three of the Past Worthy Patrons are still actively connected with Naomi Chapter. Outstanding among the features of Naomi Chapter was the 12-year reign of Mrs. Bertha Starks as Worthy Matron and the more than doubling of the membership during her administration. It was with great pride that the Chapter re-celebrated its 39th birthday. The celebration was given by the Chapter's three charter members, Mrs. Magnola Lewis, Mrs. Johanna Cheek and Mrs. Fannie Lark. The present enrollment of the Chapter is 60 with Thelma Jones, Worthy Matron; Ernest Robinson, Worthy Patron; Rosellen Cheek, Associate Matron; Harold Runth, Associate Patron; Roberta Harris, Secretary, and Augusta Meador, Treasurer.

Naomi Chapter No. 12 extends best wishes to Bethel Church on its One Hundredth Anniversary.
 

Greetings to Bethel A.M.E. Church

On Your

CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION
•  
AL ASHRAF COURT NO. 106
•  
DT. BERNICE BROWN  IIlustrous Commandress
•  
DT. THELMA JONES  lllustrous Recordress    

MILLER'S RADIO SHOP  

Member Ann Arbor Television Service Association

THERE'S MUSIC IN THE AIR - WHY NOT ENJOY IT!

AUTO RADIOS REPAIRED

Sales-Service and Installation

PICK-UP and DELIVERY

202 E. Davis Street NO 2-2929

(45)

AL ASHRAF TEMPLE NO. 167

In 1947 on April 11th, twenty-six Nobles from El Karnek Temple, No. 36 of Lansing, Michigan, and under the leadership of Noble Samuel Flood, Imperial Deputy of the Desert, assisted by the late Hayward Gant, Imperial Deputy of the Oasis of Marracci No. 13, set up Al Ashraf Temple. The original chartered officers were Noble Sanford McKinney, 33°, Illustrious Potentate; Noble Floyd C. Anderson (deceased), Chief Rabban; Noble Leroy Swayne, Assistant Rabban.

Al Ashraf Temple has grown rapidly. They had 26 members in 1947, and the present enrollment is 64. The present officers are: Noble James Roberts, Illustrious Potentate; Noble John Collins, Chief Rabban; Noble Ernest Robinson, Assistant Rabban; Noble Otis Wilson, High Priest and Prophet; Noble Thomas Perkins, Oriental Guide; Noble Everett Rhodes, Treasurer, and Noble William Monamus, Recorder.

Al Ashraf Temple No. 167 is happy to extend greetings to Bethel A.M.E. Church on its one hundredth anniversary.

DRILL PATROL, AL ASRHAF TEMPLE No. 167: Art Mathews, Arthur Jacobs, Christopher Cummings, Willie Williams, Dewitt Atkins, Dillard Cox, Ivory Jones, Norman Kennedy, John Collins, James Roberts, Everett Rhodes, Claude Arnet, Henry Holley, Otis Wilson (Capt.), Rickey Rideout (Capt.).

(46)

Compliments of    
MIDWAY LUNCH
AND    
DAVE KEATON'S RECREATION HALL    
111 East Ann Street    Phone NOrmandy 8-9134

While You Wait Service    

SANFORD'S  

119 E. Ann Street    

Get Your Hats Cleaned—Suits Pressed  

Shoes Repaired and Shined—Fine Tailoring

Good Selection of Records

PHONE

Business NO 8-6966 Res. NO 2-2741  

30 Years in Same Location (opposite court house)

Compliments of

209 NORTH FOURTH AVENUE

NEW DEAL BARBER SHOP    

Oette Marney and Udoies Collins

(47)

Congratulations to Bethel Church on its 100th Birthday

from the

PALS OF PLEASURE

OFFICERS

Wallace Franklin................................President

Robert Duncan..........................Vice-President

William Monamus..............................Secretary

James W. Anderson.........................Treasurer

William Moore..............................Sgt.-at-Arms

MEMBERS

James W. Anderson
Lulabelle Anderson
Mr. and Mrs. Durant Bridges
Mrs. Bernice Brown
Mr. and Mrs. Phillip Bolden
Mr. and Mrs. Richard Dennard
Mr. and Mrs. Robert Duncan
Mr. and Mrs. Wallace Franklin
Mr. and Mrs. John Monroe
Mr. and Mrs. William Moore
Mr. and Mrs. William Monamus
Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Robinson
Mr. and Mrs. Harold Runth

CONGRATULATIONS AND BEST WISHES

ON YOUR

CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION

ANN ARBOR CIVIC FORUM

JAMES O. MASON, President    MRS.    JOSEPHINE    OWENS,    Sec'y

(48)

To the Pastor, Officers, find Members of Bethel A.M.E. Church

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR 100TH ANNIVERSARY !

LUCILLE'S FUNERAL HOME

Lucille M. Richardson and Son

411 South Adams

YPSILANTI, MICHIGAN    Phone:    HUnter    2-9889

A PLEASURE TO SERVE YOU

DEE'S BEAUTY SALON

New Location — Corner Williams and Maynard

WE SPECIALIZE

In a Complete Beauty Service

For Mi-Lady

HOURS: 8:30 to 6:00 p.m. Monday thru Saturday

Walk-in Customers up to 4:30 (except Saturday)

MR. DeWITT ATKINS

NO 8-9344    519 E. Williams

BEST WISHES TO

BETHEL A.M.E. CHURCH

STEARNS

PRINTING SERVICE

(across from Main Post Office)

113 CATHERINE    NO 8-6096

(49)