Press enter after choosing selection

Ann Arbor Blazes

Ann Arbor Blazes image
Parent Issue
Public Domain
OCR Text

This week, so far, has been a lively one for the boys who " run with the machine," as is still the custom in this place. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings, at abóut 8 o'clock or a trifle later, lires have broken out in various parts of the city, and on the last mentioned date an additional alarm, at about 10 o'clock, called for doublé work from the already tired out worker?. The record opens with the ItüRNINO OF MINERAL SPRINOS HOUSE. Monday night, at about 8 o'clock, just as the good Ilepublican workers had tinished business in the various ward caucuses of the oity, the fire bell sounded an alarm for the third ward. The usual large crowd, following the engines, wended its way to the Mineral Springs House, on Mann street, the roof of which was then in flarues. The delay in obtaioing water was so great that the flaines, though spreadiog slowly for a wooden structure, got beyond the power of the eztinguishing facilities, and the firemen, by work almost incredible, were only enabled to save from destruction the engines, boilers, and heating apparatus, contained in an addition to the south end of the structure. For this excellent piece of work they deserve grcnt praise. This building was ereoted in 1871, by Messrs. Sutherland & Wheedon, of this city, as a sanitarium or water cure, beeause of the medicinal properties of the springs in the vicinity. The original cost was some $20,000 and upwards, but for some reason it has never been a prcfitable investmeDt. The structure was plain, but still afine one, being three stories in height with basement, and having a frontage of 104 feet on Mann street. Evcry room in the building was nicely carpeted and furnished, and the grounds had been reeently graded and improved. Several changes in proprietorship havo been made since its erection. Dr. Ha'e was the 'first successor to Sutherlaud & Whetdon, and was fbllowed by Dr. Cleland, who gave place to Dr. Russell. Sonie two years since Drs. Calvert & Gatehell- the former of Jackson, the latter then a professor in the university, - bought the place, and were the owners at the time of the fire. No one was living in the House, but it had been customary to heat up Saturdays for the purposc of giving baths which were quite popular with pome of our people. No fire had been in the building since Saturday, but the conflagration must have resulted from a defective flue. Most of the furniturc was saved, but of course considerably dainaged. The owners were neither of them in the city, Dr. Calvert being in Jackson, and Dr. Gatehell living in Milwaukee. The loss is estimated by competent judges at $5,000 to $10,000, and the insur anee amounted to $8,000. The building will probably never bo rebuilt, and is certainly a great loss not only to that portion óf the city, but to theentire community. CONFLAORATION, NO. 2. Tuesday evening another fire brought out the fire companies. This time it was in the old block south of the opera house, known to fame as the Earl block. The fire was in the third story, of the south side, in rooms occupied by A. Furgeson, as living apartment9, and undoubtedly caught from a feotive flue, the chitnney being in a very bad condition where the üre originated. The 'jouseiióld fuiiture ia this apartment 'iuurueryseriou'i'y damaged by water, fire, and smoke. Mr. Furgeson had a policy of $200 upon the same, and also a policy of $200 upoo the stock of gooda iti his candy store below, which will probably cover his loss. Franklin L. Parker, who owns the south half of the building, had an office directly under these rooms. His papers and books were damaged considerably by water and by being scattered about. The building was inaured for $1,000 ; damage slight. In fact, from appearances inside, it would be difficult to damage it. weinman's barn. Wednesday afternoon, at about 5 o'clock Michael Weinman discovered an incipient fire in his barn, located in the rear of his meat market, corner of Washington and Fifth streets. The fire had originated on the ground floor, near the horses, three in number, which he first sucoeeded in removing, and afterward extinguished the flames without calling out the fire department. Later in the cvening, at 8è o'clock, the barti was again found to be on üre, t hts time in the loft where the hay is stored, and had made considerable heodway before being discovered. The fire departmcnt carne out in a hurry, and the barn still stands, though 8omewhat scorched, an advertiseuient of' what can be done by hard work. Mr. Weinman estimates his loss at f200, with in.turance to cover. At about 10 o'clock the 8EC0MD ALARM 80UNDED. ThÍ8 time it was caused by a fire in the dweiling of John Slater - of the firm of 81ater & Graff - on Spring street. The house had been unoecupied for several weeks, and quite exiensive repairs had been recently completed by carpenters and macona. The building was completely destroyed. Loss estimated at $1,700, insured for $800. The dwellings on either side of the burned house caught fire several times, and were ouly saved by extraordinary effort. The datnage by water to both is considerable. The origin of the last twn fires can be accounted tbronly by inoendiarisra. While the two former may have arisen frora defective flues, there is strong suspicion that they were also the work of ome fire bug. If any one should happen to be caught at the business, we wouldn't place mueh valué upon his future earthly happiness. An atteiupt was made to fire the building in wliicli Qall's meat market is located, on Washington street. A clapboard was pulled off on the east side, shavings and kerosene poured in and lighted, bat the blaze was seen before any material damage was done. This last attempt was inaJo on Thursday evening, about the usual hour.