The Signal of Liberty was begun in 1841 to serve as the mouthpiece of the Michigan abolitionist movement. It was edited for most of its history the Rev. Guy Beckley, a well-known abolitionist and proprietor of a stop on the underground railroad, and Theodore Foster, an experienced newspaper man and politician. The subscribers list for the Signal was a who's who of notable abolitionists in Michigan and across the midwest. It was published until 1848 when financial difficulties apparently led to its demise. The Michigan Liberty Press took up the cause and became the abolitionist paper of note.
Old News has digitized issues and articles of the Signal of Liberty and Michigan Liberty Press from 1841-1848. Browse Signal of Liberty & Michigan Liberty Press issues and articles.
The Michigan Argus, first published on January 25, 1846, was the third paper by that name to be published in Ann Arbor. It was also the most successful, running for 33 years under that title until an ownership change led to its rechristening as the Ann Arbor Argus in October 1879.
Old News has digitized issues and articles of the Ann Arbor Argus from 1860-1879. Browse Michigan Argus issues and articles.
The Ann Arbor Argus grew out of the Michigan Argus, renamed by new owner John N. Bailey beginning with the October 17, 1879 issue. The democratic paper frequently switched between weekly and semi-weekly publication throughout its history. The Ann Arbor Argus name ended (for a time) when it merged with Ann Arbor Democrat and Ypsilanti Weekly Times into one newspaper, the Ann Arbor Argus-Democrat.
Old News has digitized issues and articles of the Ann Arbor Argus from 1879-1898. Browse Ann Arbor Argus issues and articles.
The Ann Arbor Argus-Democrat was formed in October 1898 when the Ann Arbor Argus, Ann Arbor Democrat, and Ypsilanti Weekly Times merged into one newspaper. It was published under this name until January 1906, when it was renamed the Ann Arbor Weekly Argus, having become largely a weekly reprinting of articles published in the Ann Arbor Daily Argus. The Ann Arbor Argus-Democrat was the leading weekly Democratic paper published in Ann Arbor during this time.
Old News has digitized issues and articles of the Ann Arbor Argus-Democrat from 1898-1903. Browse Ann Arbor Argus-Democrat issues and articles.
The Ann Arbor Courier was a weekly newspaper published in Ann Arbor, Michigan. The Ann Arbor Courier began in 1876 after changing it's name from the Peninsular Courier and Family Visitant and continued to be published until it purchased rival newspaper the Ann Arbor Register and became the Courier-Register in 1899. The Ann Arbor Courier was owned and edited for its entire run by members of the Beal family, first Rice Beal and then his son Junius Beal.
Old News has digitized issues and articles of the Ann Arbor Courier from 1880-1897. Browse Ann Arbor Courier issues and articles.
The Ann Arbor Democrat was a weekly newspaper started on September 12, 1878 as a Democratic newspaper in direct competition with the Ann Arbor Argus. It went through a succession of owners and editors over its 20 year history, most prominently being owned and edited by Dr. Emma Bower, a University of Michigan trained doctor, prominent suffragist, and member of the Ann Arbor School Board (decades prior to women having the right to vote). In 1898, the Democrat was consolidated with its rival the Ann Arbor Argus to create the Ann Arbor Argus-Democrat.
Old News has digitized issues and articles of the Ann Arbor Democrat from 1880-1898. Browse Ann Arbor Democrat issues and articles.
The Ann Arbor Register was a weekly newspaper started on December 6, 1872 when Dr. Alvin Chase--who had sold his Peninsular Courier & Family Visitant to Rice Beal in 1869--created the Ann Arbor Printing and Publishing Company. But the paper would only last eight months under Chases's ownership, closing down on August 27, 1873 an injunction asked for by Rice Beal due to a clause in the contract for the sale of the Courier which stated that Chase would not re-enter the publishing business was granted by the courts. Chase sold his interest in the Register but it could not resume publication until 1875 after the case had made its way through to the Michigan Supreme Court. Beal won, but with Chase no longer the owner, the rival newspaper began again on December 29, 1875. The paper changed hands several times under the next two and a half decades and was finally sold to Junius Beal--son of Rice Beal and owner of the Ann Arbor Courier, successor to the Peninsular Courier & Family Visitant--and put out its final issue on December 21, 1899.
Old News has digitized issues and articles of the Ann Arbor Register from 1880-1899. Browse Ann Arbor Register issues and articles.
The Ann Arbor News known to us until recently began under that name in 1927. It grew out of a long line of newspapers with frequent name changes including the Ann Arbor Times, Daily Times News, even Ann Arbor News for short time. This time the name stuck and the paper was Ann Arbor's major daily until ceasing publication in July 2009. Along with articles from the Ann Arbor News, Old News also features photos from the photographic negatives file, including never-before published images.
The Sun was the newspaper for a succession of communities around the paper's founder and first editor, John Sinclair. Begun in 1967 in Detroit as the Warren-Forrest Sun, the name was changed to the Ann Arbor Sun when the Trans-Love Energies commune moved to Ann Arbor in 1968 and set up shop at 1510 and 1520 Hill St. The newspaper was the mouthpiece for the White Panther Party and the succeeding Rainbow People's Party before being an independent publication devoted to local issues, left-wing politics, music, and arts. To learn more about the Sun, the White Panther/Rainbow People's Party, and John Sinclair, go to Freeing John Sinclair.
Old News has digitized issues and articles of the Sun from 1967-1976. Browse Ann Arbor Sun issues and articles.
Agenda was an independent, non-aligned newspaper that served Ann Arbor and nearby towns from 1986 to 1998. It was set up by founders and editors, Laurie Wechter and Ted Sylvester, as a forum for the area’s many liberal/leftist activist groups and nonprofit human service organizations. The content of Agenda, mostly community-generated, evolved over the years to include more alternative arts coverage -- with event calendars and reviews of movies, music, theater, and books. A “free” newspaper with a monthly circulation of 20,000 copies, Agenda was supported by advertising and paid subscriptions.
Old News features articles digitized from the following issues of the Agenda. Browse Agenda issues and articles.