The Ann Arbor Democrat was a weekly newspaper started on September 12, 1878 as a Democratic newspaper in direct competition with the Ann Arbor Argus. It went through a succession of owners and editors over its 20 year history, most prominently being owned and edited by Dr. Emma Bower, a University of Michigan trained doctor, prominent suffragist, and member of the Ann Arbor School Board (decades prior to women having the right to vote). In 1898, the Democrat was consolidated with its rival the Ann Arbor Argus to create the Ann Arbor Argus-Democrat.
To learn more about the Ann Arbor Democrat, read A History of the Newspapers of Ann Arbor 1829-1920 by Louis W. Doll. Old News features articles digitized from the following issues of the Ann Arbor Democrat. Visit each issue for a full list of articles.