Press enter after choosing selection

Vacuum Tanks for U-M's Supersonic Wind Tunnel at Willow Run, April 1947 Photographer: Maiteland Robert La Motte

Vacuum Tanks for U-M's Supersonic Wind Tunnel at Willow Run, April 1947 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, April 16, 1947
Caption
VACUUM TANKS FOR WILLOW RUN WIND TUNNEL: These oil car tanks, converted from supplies intended for the USSR during the war, are pumped free of air to create the vacuum which draws air through the University of Michigan's supersonic wind tunnel at the Willow Run Laboratories. The air, which technicians hope to get up to speeds of 7,000 miles per hour, takes only 15 seconds to pass through the tunnel-- and two and one-half hours to be pumped back to the supply balloon.

Barrage Balloon at U-M's Supersonic Wind Tunnel at Willow Run Laboratories, April 1947 Photographer: Maiteland Robert La Motte

Barrage Balloon at U-M's Supersonic Wind Tunnel at Willow Run Laboratories, April 1947 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, April 16, 1947
Caption
SUPPLIES AIR FOR SUPERSONIC WIND TUNNEL: This converted 25,000 cubic foot barrage balloon at Willow Run holds the dehydrated air which rushes through the University's wind tunnel at speeds up to 3,000 miles per hour to test aircraft materials for planes of the future. Open house for newspaper representatives was held this afternoon.

Raymond Schneyer, U-M aeronautical engineer, studies a manometer at the Willow Run laboratory, April 1947 Photographer: Maiteland Robert La Motte

Raymond Schneyer, U-M aeronautical engineer, studies a manometer at the Willow Run laboratory, April 1947 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, April 16, 1947
Caption
Raymond Schneyer, University aeronautical engineer, studies the manometer, in the above picture, to determine the velocity of wind blowing through the new supersonic tunnel at the Willow Run laboratory.

Willow Run Airport acquired By the University of Michigan, June 1946 Photographer: Eck Stanger

Willow Run Airport acquired By the University of Michigan, June 1946 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, June 3, 1946
Caption
DOUBLE HANGAR: Pictured above is a double hangar, one of three which the University has obtained with procurement of Willow Run airport for an expanded program in aeronautical engineering. The hangar is on the southwest corner of the airport.

Willow Run Airport acquired By the University of Michigan, June 1946 Photographer: Eck Stanger

Willow Run Airport acquired By the University of Michigan, June 1946 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, June 3, 1946
Caption
ON SOUTH END: The hangar pictured above, a rear view, is located on the south end of Willow Run airfield. Built adjacent to the huge Ford bomber plant, which now houses the Kaiser-Frazer Corporation and Graham-Paige Motors, the airport contains six major runways besides the three hangars. The airport is located on an express highway, 30 miles west of Detroit, and has been idle since the war.