Press enter after choosing selection

Officials sign three-way agreement turning Willow Run airport over to the University of Michigan, June 1946

Officials sign three-way agreement turning Willow Run airport over to the University of Michigan, June 1946 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, June 3, 1946
Caption
OFFICIALS SIGN WILLOW RUN AGREEMENT: Officials of the government, the University of Michigan and the Capital Airlines--PCA were present when the three-way agreement was signed today turning the huge airport at Willow Run over to the University. Seated left to right are Elton A. Burke, acting department director of real property disposal, War Assets Administration; University President Alexander G. Ruthven, and Vice-President Robert P. Briggs. Standing, Robert J. Wilson, airlines vice-president and counsel, and Robert M. Averill, western regional vide-president of the airlines. (Other pictures are on page 18.)

Barrage Balloon at U-M's Supersonic Wind Tunnel at Willow Run Laboratories, April 1947

Barrage Balloon at U-M's Supersonic Wind Tunnel at Willow Run Laboratories, April 1947 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, April 16, 1947
Caption
SUPPLIES AIR FOR SUPERSONIC WIND TUNNEL: This converted 25,000 cubic foot barrage balloon at Willow Run holds the dehydrated air which rushes through the University's wind tunnel at speeds up to 3,000 miles per hour to test aircraft materials for planes of the future. Open house for newspaper representatives was held this afternoon.

Raymond Schneyer, U-M aeronautical engineer, studies a manometer at the Willow Run laboratory, April 1947

Raymond Schneyer, U-M aeronautical engineer, studies a manometer at the Willow Run laboratory, April 1947 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, April 16, 1947
Caption
Raymond Schneyer, University aeronautical engineer, studies the manometer, in the above picture, to determine the velocity of wind blowing through the new supersonic tunnel at the Willow Run laboratory.

Vacuum Tanks for U-M's Supersonic Wind Tunnel at Willow Run, April 1947

Vacuum Tanks for U-M's Supersonic Wind Tunnel at Willow Run, April 1947 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, April 16, 1947
Caption
VACUUM TANKS FOR WILLOW RUN WIND TUNNEL: These oil car tanks, converted from supplies intended for the USSR during the war, are pumped free of air to create the vacuum which draws air through the University of Michigan's supersonic wind tunnel at the Willow Run Laboratories. The air, which technicians hope to get up to speeds of 7,000 miles per hour, takes only 15 seconds to pass through the tunnel-- and two and one-half hours to be pumped back to the supply balloon.

Members of the University's Television Center plan to film a documentary in Antarctica, October 1963

Members of the University's Television Center plan to film a documentary in Antarctica, October 1963 image
Published In
Ann Arbor News, October 3, 1963
Caption
PLAN ANTARCTIC TRIP: John Alley (right), assistant film editor at the University's Television Center, points to an Explorer's Club flag he hopes to plant at the South Pole during a two-man U-M expedition to Antarctica this month to make a documentary TV film on the frozen continent. Looking on (left to right) are Lee M. (Mack) Woodruff, U-M TV production supervisor who will accompany Alley and direct the filming; Prof. Garnet R. Garrison, the University's director of broadcasting and television; and Prof.Donald F. Eschman, chairman of the geology and mineralogy department which is co-operating in the project.