Press enter after choosing selection

New addition to the Chemistry Building progresses, 930 N. University Ave., January 1948

New addition to the Chemistry Building progresses, 930 N. University Ave., January 1948 image
Month
January
Year
1948
Caption
READY IN LATE SPRING: Due to the complicated mechanical installations, the addition to the Chemistry Building, located on N. University Ave. and attached to the east side of the present building, will not wholly be completed until late spring. The picture above, taken from the diagonal of the main campus, shows the old building to the left, and the new addition to the right. The structure, built at an estimated cost of more than $,426,000 will house both the Chemistry Department and the School of Pharmacy. The addition is built of reinforced concrete with brick facing and is four stories high with a basement. A lecture hall and some classrooms in the building are completed and in use, but full occupancy is not scheduled for several months.
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.
Related

Construction progresses on Observatory Street dormitory for women, January 1948

Construction progresses on Observatory Street dormitory for women, January 1948 image
Month
January
Year
1948
Caption
MODERN DORM FOR WOMEN: The new six-story dormitory on Observatory St. changes entirely the skyline view at the end of E. Huron St. Built to house 525 coeds, the structure has simple functional lines, and will have a flat roof. More or less the stepchild of the contractors, the dormitory is the least advanced of all the new campus buildings. Forty per cent complete now, the structure may be ready for occupancy by next fall, depending on the availability of labor, materials and furnishings. Estimated costs of construction has been set at approximately $2,300,000 but the building is financed on a self-liquidating basis.
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.
Related

State Street General Service Building, 500 S. State Street, January 1948

State Street General Service Building, 500 S. State Street, January 1948 image
Month
January
Year
1948
Caption
STATE ST. GENERAL SERVICE BUILDING: This imposing structure of orange brick is approximately 60 per cent completed and when finished next fall, will be used for the offices of business, administrative and public service departments of the University. The building is directly opposite Angell Hall on the west side of State t. where E. Jefferson St. formerly intersected State St. Windows are designed so as to give the semblance of a continuous panel. Cost is estimated at more than $2,127,000.
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.
Related

New addition to the East Quadrangle dormitory at Hill St. and E. University Ave., January 1948

New addition to the East Quadrangle dormitory at Hill St. and E. University Ave., January 1948 image
Month
January
Year
1948
Caption
HOME SWEET HOME: Approximately 677 men students call this building home. Pictured above is the addition to the East Quadrangle dormitory building at Hill St. and E. University Ave. which is virtually complete except for landscaping. It has two dining rooms and each of the sections, or "houses" into which it is divided, has a suite for the house director. The four houses are named in memory of four University professors. Construction costs are approximately $1,800,000.
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.
Related

Art fair booth of Phil Austin and Boris Duchenko at the Ann Arbor Street Art Fair, July 1971

Art fair booth of Phil Austin and Boris Duchenko at the Ann Arbor Street Art Fair, July 1971 image
Month
July
Year
1971
Caption
The Ann Arbor Street Art Fair, one of the nation's leading art fairs, opened officially this morning on E. University and S. University. Thousands of people are expected to crowd streets during the four-day fair. One of the early spectators (on left) watches as artists Phil Austin and Boris Duchenko hang pictures in their booth on S. University. A calendar of fair-related events appears on Page 23. (Ann Arbor News Photo By Chief Photographer Eck Stanger)
Published in Issue
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.
Related

Ethelyn Morton and Catherine Mancell of the Senior Citizens Guild staff their booth at the Ann Arbor Street Art Fair, July 1971

Ethelyn Morton and Catherine Mancell of the Senior Citizens Guild staff their booth at the Ann Arbor Street Art Fair, July 1971 image
Month
July
Year
1971
Caption
Senior Citizens' Guild Members Ethelyn Morton (Left) And Catherine Mancell (Seated) Staff Guild's S. University Booth
Published in Issue
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.
Related

Booth of Jane Hawkins at the Ann Arbor Street Art Fair, July 1971

Booth of Jane Hawkins at the Ann Arbor Street Art Fair, July 1971 image
Month
July
Year
1971
Caption
Weaving In Booth Of Jane Hawkins (Seated) Attracts Viewers
Published in Issue
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.
Related

Chris Lane with daughter Robin, June 1984

Chris Lane with daughter Robin, June 1984 image
Month
June
Year
1984
Caption
Chris Lane, daughter Robin relax in a hammock: Being a good father is 'a big priority for me, something I probably learned from my mother and father.'
Published in Issue
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.
Related

Addition to the East Engineering Building, 500 block of E. University Ave., January 1948

Addition to the East Engineering Building, 500 block of E. University Ave., January 1948 image
Month
January
Year
1948
Caption
ENGINEERING STUDENTS STUDY HERE: This four-story addition to the East Engineering Building in the 500 block of E. University Ave. was occupied last fall, even though not completely finished. Students could learn engineering practice both in and between classes as workmen filled the halls, working on interior finish details. The structure, erected at an estimated cost of $1,470,000, is built of concrete, stone and brick to harmonize with the architectural style of the original engineering building, shown at the far left of this photograph. The new addition houses the aeronautical and electrical engineering departments of the College of Engineering of the University. Third floor is to be devoted almost entirely to electronics and communications equipment.
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.
Related

New School of Business Administration will be ready soon, January 1948

New School of Business Administration will be ready soon, January 1948 image
Month
January
Year
1948
Caption
BUSINESS BUILDING IN USE SOON: Occupancy in February is scheduled for sections of the new School of Business Administration which is located on a site bounded by Tappan Ave., Haven Ave., and Monroe St. The two million dollar structure has a nine-story tower which will have offices and research rooms. The three-story sections on Haven and Monroe Sts. will be used for classrooms and laboratories. Some of the architectural features found in the new building are aluminum window frames, acoustic tile ceilings, and a heating system which uses concealed wall convectors.
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.
Related

Margaret Cray & Mrs. Clarence E Crook Inside Fischer's Hardware, February 1969

Margaret Cray & Mrs. Clarence E Crook Inside Fischer's Hardware, February 1969 image
Month
February
Year
1969
Caption
There's more to a store than just what's on its shelves. Take the attic, for instance, as Mrs. Douglas D. Crary (left) and Mrs. Clarence E. Crook do here. From treasures unearthed in Fischer's Hardware attic, Mrs. Crary has found a glass decanter and Mrs. Crook, a corn husker. The items are part of the odd assortment to be offered Saturday on the "horse traders table" during Women's City Club Days at Goodyear's.
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.
Related

Greek-Revival Adobe Home At Scio Church Rd & Greenview Dr Is Torn Down, May 1955

Greek-Revival Adobe Home At Scio Church Rd & Greenview Dr Is Torn Down, May 1955 image
Month
May
Year
1955
Caption
CLAY HOUSE COMES DOWN: This ancient landmark at Scio Church Rd. and Greenview Dr. is being torn down by order of the Ann Arbor Board of Education, which acquired the land where the house stands as part of the new high school site. An estimated 150 years old, the clay-brick, stucco-covered building has been unoccupied since last fall.
Published in Issue
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.

Herbert F. Sager, With Sons David H. & Douglas H., At Fiegel's, February 1992

Herbert F. Sager, With Sons David H. & Douglas H., At Fiegel's, February 1992 image
Month
February
Year
1992
Caption
Herbert F. Sager, center, with sons David H., left, and Douglas H., looks over a ledger and day books from the past at Fiegel's, 318 S. Main St., Ann Arbor. Fiegel's celebrates its 100th anniversary this year.
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.
Related

Father & Son, Herbert F. & Douglas Sager, At Fiegel's, October 1988

Father & Son, Herbert F. & Douglas Sager, At Fiegel's, October 1988 image
Month
October
Year
1988
Caption
MAIN STREET MAINSTAYS - Herbert F. Sager, celebrating his 88th birthday today, meets his son Douglas at Fiegel's Men's and Boys' Wear at 318 S. Main. Herbert Sager was born and raised on a farm near Chelsea and started working for Albert Fiegel in 1926. In 1941, he and partners John Andress and Paul Jedele bought the business. Sager and Andress bought out Jedele in 1950. Sons David and Douglas came on in the early '60s, and with Herbert, are partners today. Herbert's wife of 54 years, Mabel, drops him off every day at the business and meets him again for lunch.
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.
Related

Police Officers Kathleen Vonk & Craig Flocken Patrol Downtown Ann Arbor On Bicycles, June 1992

Police Officers Kathleen Vonk & Craig Flocken Patrol Downtown Ann Arbor On Bicycles, June 1992 image
Month
June
Year
1992
Caption
Officers Vonk and Flocken pedal down Main Street as they patrol the downtown area. The Police Department now has two officers patrolling on bikes and hopes to add others as more bikes become available.
Published in Issue
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.
Related

Police Officers Kathleen Vonk & Craig Flocken Chat With George Kempf & Doug Sager Outside Fiegel's, June 1992

Police Officers Kathleen Vonk & Craig Flocken Chat With George Kempf & Doug Sager Outside Fiegel's, June 1992 image
Month
June
Year
1992
Caption
Ann Arbor Police Officers Kathleen Vonk and Craig Flocken take a break from pedaling through downtown Ann Arbor to chat with George Kempf, left, and Doug Sager, outside Fiegel's clothing store on Main Street.
Published in Issue
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.
Related

Construction of Naylor Motor Sales, 2060 W. Stadium, December 1965

Construction of Naylor Motor Sales, 2060 W. Stadium, December 1965 image
Month
December
Year
1965
Caption
These four photographs show some of the varied commercial and residential construction in process in the city. From top to bottom are the 110-room Holiday Inn being built in Washtenaw at Yost for more than $1 million; a new National Bank & Trust Co. of Ann Arbor branch office on E. William at Thompson; a 48-unit apartment building being constructed by 500 Liberty, Ltd., at 309 Thompson, and a $500,000 Naylor Motors, Inc., showroom and service garage at 2060 W. Stadium. The facilities are among an anticipated $85 million to $90 million in construction to be authorized this year in the city. Authorization of more than $50.5 million by Aug. 31 broke all previous years' records.
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.

Community Farm Growers Plant Potatoes, June 1992

Community Farm Growers Plant Potatoes, June 1992 image
Month
June
Year
1992
Caption
Community Farm growers Marcia Barton (on tractor), Anne Elder and Paul Bantle plant potatoes on the farm's 5-acre plot west of Dexter.
Published in Issue
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.
Related

Anne Elder Weeds A Row Of Carrots At Community Farm, June 1992

Anne Elder Weeds A Row Of Carrots At Community Farm, June 1992 image
Month
June
Year
1992
Caption
Anne Elder weeds a row of carrots at Community Farm which specializes in organic produce grown for shareholders.
Published in Issue
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.
Related

Anne Elder Works To Get Cows Into The Barn At Community Farm, May 1998

Anne Elder Works To Get Cows Into The Barn At Community Farm, May 1998 image
Month
May
Year
1998
Caption
Anne Elder, left, tries to round up a young calf to lure the dairy cows into the barn at Community Farm on Fletcher Road.
Published in Issue
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.
Related

Lettuce Is Planted At Community Farm, May 1998

Lettuce Is Planted At Community Farm, May 1998 image
Month
May
Year
1998
Caption
A garden crew engages in the spring ritual under way throughout the area - kneeling in the garden during planting time.
Published in Issue
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.
Related

Teachers From Puerto Rico Studying English At UM Meet At Rackham, September 12, 1956

Teachers From Puerto Rico Studying English At UM Meet At Rackham, September 12, 1956 image
Month
September
Year
1956
Caption
Puerto Rican Teachers: George E. Luther (left), instructor in the University's English Language Institute, discusses Ann Arbor's tight housing situation with a newly arrived group of Puerto Rican teachers. The group will study here for a year.
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.
Related

U-M Foreign Exchange Students Visit Killins Gravel Company, June 6, 1957

U-M Foreign Exchange Students Visit Killins Gravel Company, June 6, 1957 image
Month
June
Year
1957
Caption
Conservation Project: Inspection of the Killins Gravel Co. plant at 3305 Liberty Rd. in Scio township yesterday was one of the projects participated in by University foreign students. This trip was made by 16 students from South America, Asia and Africa.
Published in Issue
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.
Related

Gerald L. Thurston uses a picnic table as a temporary stand for TV antenna, August 1963

Gerald L. Thurston uses a picnic table as a temporary stand for TV antenna, August 1963 image
Month
August
Year
1963
Caption
TV DINNER? Needing a temporary stand for his television antenna, Gerald L. Thurston of 2946 St. Aubin St. came up with this novel adaption of an ordinary picnic table. Thurston had to move his TV antenna because of interference with his "citizens band" radio antenna.
Published in Issue
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.

Capt. Philip F. Hanson, veteran of the Battle of the Bulge, starts new business, September 1948

Capt. Philip F. Hanson, veteran of the Battle of the Bulge, starts new business, September 1948 image
Month
September
Year
1948
Caption
Veteran Who Lost Leg In Germany Sees Dream Come True In Starting Business:

First customers for Capt. Philip F. Hanson at his brand new used car lot on Washtenaw Rd. were Mr. and Mrs. Spencer Wirt and their infant daughter. Hanson, shown at the left, a June graduate of the University, lost a leg while leading a tank unit in the Battle of the Bulge. During his five months' stay in a German hospital as a prisoner of war, he often dreamed of some such peactime occupation. The dream of putting his war-won knowledge of motors to business purposes has come true.
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.

County Board of Supervisors on Ann Arbor Courthouse Steps, 1939

County Board of Supervisors on Ann Arbor Courthouse Steps, 1939 image
Year
1939
Caption
From Our Pictorial Archives: Ann Arbor 1939

You've heard about the days when the township supervisors ran county government, with each township represented on the Board of Supervisors. That's the way it was in October 1939 when this picture was taken on the courthouse steps in downtown Ann Arbor. Somebody said, "so what's new?" but if townships are in control today, they are urbanized and not rural townships. At least two front row supervisors are holding cigars and, as any reporter on the county beat in those days will tell you, county business was conducted in smoke-filled rooms. County government was clean, although perhaps not as finely tuned in to the needs and wishes of constituents as today.

Members of the board, left to right, were:

Front row - John S. Miller, Fred G. Broesamle, Albert C. Stein (above), Donald Comstock (below), Mrs. George Alber, Herman Oelke (below), Mrs. Carruth Cook (she took the minutes), Carl Mast, G. E. Townsend, Fitch Forsythe (above), James Galbraith (below) and Herbert L. Kennett (above).

Second row - Fred Blumhart, Freeman Weber, Edward Foster, Herbert P. Wager, Bernard MacIlhargy, Fred Williams, Lloyd Lyke and Gilbert Madden.

Third row - Samuel Morgan, Edwin Schaible, William Manchester, Emory Mullholland, Albert Rider, Charles Waltz and Homer Stofer.

Top row - George Gaudy, Carl W. Carr, Albert Trinkle, Harry S. Cole, Lewis C. Rhoades, Leigh Beach and John Cosner.

Retired County Clerk Louella M. Smith helped complete the identifications.
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.

U-M students look at the remains of their burned-out trailer, September 1947

U-M students look at the remains of their burned-out trailer, September 1947 image
Month
September
Year
1947
Caption
Clarence White, Charles Raymond, and Charles Nelson (from left) view remains of burned-out trailer Raymond and Nelson's brother, Richard R., were using to transport clothes books and note files from Highland Park to the University.

Two Navy veterans and seniors at the University lost their clothes, books and note files when the trailer in which they were bringing them from Highland Park to Ann Arbor burned on the Whitemore Lake Rd. (See photo.)

The fire apparently was started by a cigarette tossed by a passing motorist.
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.

Civil Aeronautics Administration and Ann Arbor Public School Officials Meet at Carpenter School, May 1953

Civil Aeronautics Administration and Ann Arbor Public School Officials Meet at Carpenter School, May 1953 image
Month
May
Year
1953
Caption
Teachers, representatives from the county superintendent's office and the Civil Aeronautics Administration met yesterday at the Carpenter School, near Washtenaw and Carpenter Rds. to discuss courses in aviation which will be taught at that school next fall. Shown addressing the teachers (left to right, with back to camera) are Dr. Forest G. Averill, assistant superintendent of schools at Lansing, Horace S. Gilbert of the CAA, Fred Waite of the Michigan Department of Aeronautics and Dr. Lewis Beeson of the Michigan Historical Commission. Sponsors for the meeting were Julius Haab, county superintendent of schools and his assistant, Howard Thayer.
Published in Issue
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.